24 ✰ Early Morning, October 12th

"I don't suppose anybody's hungry?" I drawled, as I stored the tubs of Haagen-Daas into the freezer. 

I shut the freezer door and studied the peculiar sight in front of me: Lucy was seated on my lazy boy right next to the broken TV, some of her hair tinged green by the matcha ice cream, while Magnus and Callum sat on the couch on the opposite side of the room, brooding.

I bit my lip to suppress the smile that threatened to break.

Two werewolves and two witches walk into a room...

Magnus' grey eyes glinted at me with pent-up frustration. "I'm still famished."

My ears went hot once I understood what he meant.

"No!" Both Lucy and Callum scolded at the same time, their eyes meeting for a split second before looking away in a united huff.

"You said this thing between you was over, Lena." Lucy muttered, shaking her head in disappointment.

Magnus seemed to straighten at the comment, redirecting his heavy gaze on me.

"It's not," he said dryly, picking off a piece of broken plastic from his sweater.

"I wasn't talking to you, wolf," Lucy snapped.

A low growl emanated from Callum. "Watch your tongue, if you know what's good for you. Address him as Alpha." Callum then shifted his glowing amber eyes onto Magnus instead. "You forget, bràthair...of your prior engagements."

Magnus replied with a warning look. "This is none of your concern, Callum."

I saw Lucy fidget in her seat, a deep scowl on her normally pretty features.

"It concerns all of us, especially Lena!" she snapped, turning her nose up at the werewolves. I've never seen this side of Lucy before, combative and confident. I would've beamed with pride if I wasn't growing sick with anxiety over the situation we were in.

"Alpha Magnus," she said with a petulant tone, "you are engaged, are you not?"

Magnus' mouth twitched almost imperceptibly. "Yes."

"Then I think it's in Lena's best interest that you stay the hell away. No good can come out of this," she said as a matter-of-factly. Callum's weighty silence indicated that he agreed with Lucy, but he made no effort to show it.

"Lucinda—" Magnus started politely. 

"Lucy," she cut in.

"Lucy, I'd rather hear what your sister has to say. If she wants me to leave, then I'll respect her wishes and walk away."

Magnus stood and approached me, his strides powerful and elegant. Both Lucy and Callum shot up from their seats, watching us intently. I tried to swallow, but my throat had run dry and despite my desperate attempts to come up with something to say, my mind was too exhausted.

When he was close enough, Magnus' gentle greys searched my face for a hint of shared understanding. Waves of passion still ebbed deep in my blood, but the reality of what I almost did (yet again) hit me harder than a barrelling freight truck. 

By now, I knew the extent of Magnus' desire for me and even though I felt the same, it was selfish to fulfil it. Elder Lyrina fell for an engaged man when she was afflicted, and what good did that bring?

I clutched the hem of my cocktail dress until my knuckles turned white.

I would not make the same mistake. If not for me, then for Magnus' sake.