Chapter 16: Dizzy miss lizzy

Seven years.

It came quite suddenly, the headache. I grabbed the edge of the table in front of me, trying not to fall over but my head was getting lighter by the second.

"You alright?" The words reverberated through my head. Bouncing off the insides of my skull. "Miss white?"

I'd taken my medication hadn't I? My sight grew blurry, I got down on the floor and leaned my now insanely heavy feeling head, back against the desk. As I sat there dizzy and disoriented, I kept trying and trying to remember if I'd taken the pills the doctor had given me.

I knew that I did take them, just like I did every morning, and they'd been working so far.

I heard heals clacking on the wooden floorboards, hurrying around the side of the desk, she kneeled down next to me. She was a haze, just a haze.

"Miss White?" The words echoed again and again.
"What's wrong?!" Until everything blended together in a big mess of sound Color and pain. Intense pain. It was the same thing I'd felt that day with George when he brought me to the hospital. But worse. Oh so much worse.

And this time I didn't wake up in a sterile white hospital room, but on the back seat of someone's car.

"What's going on?" I slurred.

"Don't worry love, we're almost there." A woman's voice answered, she was a bit older than me it seemed. I lifted my head, a sharp pain shot through my skull, and I brought my hand up to the back of my head. It was like I'd been hit by something. Multiple times.

Immaculate long blond hair fell over the sides of the drivers seat, and I could make out the expression on her face. Worry, determination, but something else as well, like she knew something, like she knew exactly what was happening. When even I had no idea.

My voice was still groggy, "I fainted again, didn't I?"

"Yes. But we're almost there, you're going to be alright."

"Almost where?"

She didn't answer, so I laid my head back down on the car seat I was lying on, and fell asleep.

———

I woke up in a sort of panick, not about where I was or with whom, but for my phone. The last couple days I always knew exactly where it was. Every second of every day, I had it on me. The nervousness of someone finding it when I wasn't home, growing. But now, bringing the phone with me had gotten me discovered, it was ironic at least.

Although I supposed it wasn't that bad since she had one too, and my situation seemed not wholly unique now after all. I could find some comfort in knowing I was maybe not completely alone... she could help me, maybe.

I was on someone's couch. Not one I recognised in the slightest, it was a beige colour, and comfortable enough for it to be tempting to not get up and just pretend to be passed out for a little longer.

But I did sit up, and tried keeping my heavy eyelids from closing and then dozing off again. My body was pulling me back into sleep but I didn't let it.
"Annie!" A man called out, "she's wakin' up, the little lady."

My coat was hung over the chair next to me and on the glass coffee table laid out before me, were no mugs or glasses or anything you'd normally find on a coffee table. Instead it was all my stuff. All the stuff I normally had somewhere in an inside pocket of a coat or jacket, safe and hidden away. My phone, my I-D, the cavern club card, the photograph, my wallet and the things usually inside, all laid out meticulously on the glass surface.

The sound of heels came closer and closer, clacking down the hallway for what seemed like an eternity and then entering the room was Anna. The hairdresser. Holding a book in one hand and a steaming cup of tea in the other.