Chapter Forty-Five

St Andrews church, close to Bellstead High Street, was a modern edifice for the followers of the Anglican faith. Its predecessor burnt to the ground in 1944. In the ancient graveyard, Jack Daniels would be laid to rest.

Chief Superintendent Walker arrived with five minutes to spare and was shocked to find the car park jammed solid. Furthermore, no one appeared to be bothered by the double yellow lines, as more vehicles were parked on either side of Church street. A parking warden strolled towards his stationary car. On seeing his uniform, he tapped the driver's window. "You'll find a spot at the far end if you hurry, sir."

Walker studied the man. "I assume you'll be giving all these parking tickets."

"What vehicles, sir? Jack helped me and many others during his life. He deserves a good send-off. You'd better hurry. The service starts in a couple of minutes." He paused. "Tell you what, sir, I'll park your car. You'll be the last before I close the road."

Stunned, Walker jumped out, leaving the keys in the ignition. "Good man. Thanks."

To his amazement, the church was packed. Some mourners he recognised, but most he did not. A woman to his left grabbed his arm, pulled him into the pew, handed him a hymn book, and whispered, "page ninety-four." The Lord is my Shepherd.

Angela read a prayer.

The vicar commended Jack for his work as a police officer and help with the youth in the community.

After the eulogy ended, the organist played the intro to Jerusalem. On cue, everyone sang with gusto, many not in tune.

Walker recognised the pallbearers. They were to a man retired police officers. They ceremonially lifted the unassuming, unvarnished pine coffin to their aged shoulders and began the walk to the graveside.

The vicar and Angela followed with heads bowed from the dull interior of the church into the sunlight. A gentle breeze shook the trees as if sympathising with those there.

Walker had never noticed that Sweet Chestnut trees grew throughout the graveyard. Their gently bending branches loaded with flowers gave a sense of serenity. Seeing Jack's grave close to two others made him think. He read the headstones on either side of Jack's and smiled. He knew both men. One had been the grave digger Richard Carter and the other Keith Simpson, a local scrap dealer.

The vicar nodded, and the ashes-to-ashes, the dust-to-dust ritual, began as the coffin was lowered into the grave.

One by one, those there lifted a handful of soil and watched it rattle across the top of the coffin. Some said a few words. Others nodded or wiped away a tear.

Angela holding a single rose, waited until she was on her own. "You were a good man John. Thank you for the time we had." With the rose in her left hand, she removed the petals and scattered them into the grave.

Gillian waited until Angels finished to join her. Together with heads held high, they walked to the waiting car.

Walker waited by the entrance gate. "Angela, thank you for inviting me. A good turnout. Never realised so many knew Jack."

There was a strangeness in her smile. "Jack was a good man. No one can ask for more."

"Do you believe what I told you?"

She smiled. "If you say so, Chief Superintendent. Goodbye."

As Walker drove back to the station, it started to rain, and the wiper blades scraped across the glass. He switched on the heater as coldness filled the car. On signalling to turn right, he glanced in the rear-view mirror. Jack Daniels smiled at him from the rear seat.

Note by the author. Hope the ending made you smile.