Chapter Twenty

On her way home from work, Angela pulled her little Fiat over and stopped outside the local corner shop. She ran inside, seeking a packet of ham and a couple of rolls for her lunch. As she queued to pay, she grabbed a mars bar and handed the cashier her card.

She had no idea why she halted outside the church on her way home. Her eyes traversed the tall spire with its weather vane perched on top. She leant over and grabbed her scarf from the rear seat. Inside, she waited until her eyes grew accustomed to the subdued lighting. Standing in front of the altar, she raised her eyes to the crucifix. "God, I am sorry for my sins and lack of attendance. Like most who enter this place, I'm asking if you could help my friend John and convince him to forget the wickedness in his mind. You know he is a good man. Please help him. Amen"

She stood and gave a court bow, turned and left. Outside and in the fresh air, she removed her headscarf and drove home.

Late that afternoon, a wine-red Mk3 Cortina stopped well away from Angela's home. "That's 'er car, Alister, the bright red Fiat 500. That colour makes it easy to follow."

"There's not a lot we can do, so we wait. When she leaves, we follow 'er, and do the business," said Brian Jones.

"Time and place will decide what happens, but I can make 'er life difficult as a starter for ten."

"What yer gonna do?"

He removed a set of bolt cutters from a toolbox on the back seat. "I'll be back in five. Don't touch anything, or I'll break your fingers."

Brian listened to the radio and jumped when the driver's door opened.

Alister dropped the bolt cutters back into the box.

"What did you do?"

"Cut one of the brake pipes. With a bit of luck, a crash will kill 'er."

"I'm bored," said Brian. "How long have we got to wait?"

"Until she drives away."

"And what if she doesn't?"

"We wait until she does."

"Can I go and get something to eat? I'm starving."

"No. Okay, we know where the bitch lives and don't need to be 'ere. Pray she ends up under a bus or something. We'll come back later."

"Sounds good," said Brian.

***

Several street lights flickered on and off as the wine-red Mk3 Cortina returned and parked between them, making it difficult to see its actual colour.

"Fuck, 'er car 'asn't moved."

"What does that mean?" asked Brian.

"Are you that stupid, or 'ave you been practising," said Alister. "Wait, 'er outside light 'as just come on."

Angela appeared, closed and locked the door, walked to the end of the garden path, stopped and glanced at her watch.

"She looks rather tasty," said Brian, "wouldn't mind giving 'er one."

"Shut up, moron. When she makes a move, we'll make ours."

"Why not jump 'er now?"

"Because she's outside 'er own 'ouse, a neighbour might be watching."

Angela rechecked the time and started to stroll along the street.

"Keep on walking, darling. Make this easy," said Alister.