Chapter Thirty-Two

The explosion, although somewhat contained within the undercroft walls, was definite. A thick plume of dust shot through the hole in the floor, filling the mausoleum's interior. John gagged and choked as he clawed his way towards the entrance. He thought of his sister as the lack of air almost overwhelmed him. On his knees, his hands grabbed the bars on the door and dragged his cough-tortured body outside. 

 Gasping, he breathed in the humid air. He crawled further on the soggy ground, turned and rested his back against the cold wall as his whole body trembled. 

The torrential rain refreshed and soaked his clothes, but he no longer cared. It was over.

When he regained his full senses, he stood and returned to the mausoleum. Red dust covered everything. It took time for him to find his torch. With a click, he smiled. It still worked. Cautious, he peered into the undercroft. Much to his surprise, the debris had settled, and he could see the ground below. Gingerly he lowered himself into the undercroft. He shifted the beam of his torch and stared at the heap of rubble. "They are fucked," he muttered.

Next, he went to the cell where he had dumped the young man. A groan came from the corner. "Don't move. I'm going to untie you. Try anything. I'll leave you to die."

"What game are you playing? David will have your guts."

"The roof of the undercroft has collapsed. David and his merry men are trapped. You don't have to take my word for it, but I doubt if he'll get out. I suggest you get your skates on and get the fuck out of here."

"What the hell are you talking about?"

John suppressed a grin. "Look around. The rain must have added too much weight to the old supports and caused a cave-in."

The young man's eyes darted to the pile of rubble. "I'm out of here before anymore collapses. I'd suggest you do the same." He scrambled through the entrance hatch and, ignoring the rain, walked away.

John clambered up and into the chamber. He carefully removed every trace of his existence, wiping every surface with a rag that redistributed the dust. Both padlocks were removed, locked and tossed into the trees. The keys he kept for disposal later.

With one final check, he left and walked home.

***

David Little was momentarily puzzled by a weird vibration. "Jesus Christ, what's that?"

The men attacking the concrete stopped hammering and gazed around. With eyes filled with panic, they saw a wall of dirt charging towards them. They had nowhere to hide. Those who could grab articles of clothing dropped to the floor, covering their heads. It was impossible to think as the bank of debris rolled over them. For a time, the noise and the dark cloaked everything.

The noise and vibration decreased. Men coated in debris clambered to their feet and stared at each other.

"I suggest we get the fuck out  of here," said one to another.

"I'm with you," said another.

David Little wiped his face. "You stay here and finish the job. You received good money in advance."

One of the muscular men stared at David. "This place ain't safe. I'll post you the money, but I'm leaving."

David nodded to his elder brother Bobby. He struck the man knocking him to the ground.

"No one leaves until I say so," said David. He pointed to two men. "Let's go and investigate. I have no idea what has happened. The rest of you keep working at that wall."

He waited until the regular hammering of steel against steel resumed before making his way along the drain. The two men followed, using the beams of their torches to light their path. Twenty minutes later, they came across a layer of debris and earth. It was evident that the undercroft had caved in and blocked their exit.

"You two see if you can shift some of that rubble," said David.

They lifted vast chunks of brickwork for half an hour and tossed them to the side, but it seemed pointless. As one lump came free, another tumbled and filled the space.

"We're getting nowhere," said one of the men to David. "Maybe there's another way out."

Bewildered, David ran his fingers through his hair. "Okay, clever clogs, tell me where it is or shut the fuck up and keep digging."

"I'm telling you, boss. There's a ton of shit behind this pile, and we have no idea how far it stretches."

"Well, keep digging until you find out."

The two men muttered as they lifted and shifted the unending pile of debris.

****

"Have we a problem," asked Bobby Little when his brother returned.

David smiled. "We need to look for another way out of here. The undercroft has collapsed. John, keep these men at it. Bobby and I will check further along the drain. I'm sure whoever built this place will have included inspection maintenance holes."

"I want two lanterns," said David.

John handed him two of the most powerful. "Use one on the outward journey and the other on the way back."

"I'm not fucking stupid."

"Never said you were, but my advice is free." He laughed as his brothers walked into the dark.

***

The two men trudged along with a lantern held by Bobby.

"How far does this go," asked Bobby.

"How the hell would I know," said David.

"What's that?" Bobby raised the light.

"The way out," said David staring at the black hole in the roof. "I told you, when they build a drain every so often, they dig access from above. There should be a ladder or something, but I can't see one. Wait, there, it is attached to the side. Now, all we have to do is get up there."

"It's too high. We'll never be able to reach the bottom rung," said Bobby.

"Not a problem. Let's walk further along and find another one."

Bobby grunted as they continued their search as the odour of something rotten filled the still air. "What's that over there?"

They shuffled towards a pile of hair.

"A dead dog," said David. "Must have found its way in and became trapped. The rats had a free meal."

"Like us," said Bobby. "Why didn't you mention the rats before?"

David laughed. "Never gave them a thought."

"There's another exit," said Bobby, pointing. "And the ladder is still in position."

"Hear that," said David. "It's traffic from the road above. Hold the light." A wave of energy coursed through him. Almost immediately, he climbed one rung at a time. With both feet firmly on a rung, he tested its strength before moving to the next."

"What's taking you so long," asked Bobby.

"I'm careful. The rungs could be rotten if this ladder is as old as I think it is. Falling on top of you is not on my bucket list."

"Bobby shouted back. "I'm glad to hear that."

"I'm at the top."

David set his shoulders against the cast iron cover and pushed. Nothing happened. He tried again until his strength failed him. "I can't move it. We need help. We can return and lift the lid with explosives."

"If you say so," said Bobby.