Chapter Forty

Chief Inspector Malin wanted to throttle his alarm clock as its ringing dragged him from a sound sleep. Throwing the heavy blankets back, he staggered to the window and peered at the new day. A bright blue with long streaks of white clouds scattered across the sky.

"Don't tell me the sun is shining," said his wife.

"It's a beautiful morning, not a hint of rain for a change. Stay in bed. I'll make my breakfast."

"I'll do it. You make more mess than the kids."

He laughed, knowing she was right. "I do not have to shower this morning as the better part of today will be in a drain."

She watched as he rummaged in his wardrobe. "What are you looking for?"

"My old jeans, a jacket and a shirt."

"They are in the spare room."

"Thanks."

After breakfast, he kissed his wife, jumped into his car and headed for town. Much to his surprise, the high street was closed off, and only when he produced his warrant card did the council workman allow him through. Parking for a change was not a problem. The street was empty.

He strolled the fifty yards to where a group of men stood chatting. His two sergeants nodded.

"Good morning, Chief Inspector," said Mr Senior. He turned. "This is Vince Woodward, our senior engineer. He and two of his team will be accompanying you and your men."

Vince held out his hand.

Malin shook it. "What's the procedure?"

Vince smiled. The covers are off, and we have tested for bad air; much to my amazement, it is breathable. But to be safe, we carry battery-operated alarms just in case. Can't be too careful. Once we have entered, an electric fan will force fresh air into the drain. You should wear our council overalls in case there are some nasty's down there, plus they are waterproof up to the waist. Go with my foreman Douglas, and he will ensure you have a pair that fit, a safety harness, and a hard hat."

Malin appeared bemused, "Why the harness?"

"To lower you and your men into the drain."

"Isn't there a ladder?"

"There is, but we never trust them. They might not be fit for purpose after a hundred years."

Malin laughed. "I feel that way every morning."

***

Twenty minutes later, the first member of the six-man team hooked onto the hoist directly above the hole in the road and began his descent into the dark.

Malin peered into the void and smiled as the council worker switched on his headlamp and thought. I must remember to do that.

Five minutes later, Malin began his journey to the bottom. He let his hands slide over the sides of the steel ladder, ready to grab if the worst happened. The heavy smell of damp grew as he descended. A sigh erupted from his lips when his feet touched the bottom of the drain. Council worker Mick unclipped Malin's harness and flashed his torch. The hoist vanished in an instant towards the surface.

When six men were at the bottom, Vince spoke. "Chief Inspector and you two Sergeants. On the surface, you have authority. In the tunnels, I'm the boss. If I say shift your arse, I mean it. So, don't even think of arguing. Chief Inspector, you come with Mick and me. Douglas, you're responsible for the two sergeants. Don't let them out of your sight. One more piece of advice if you feel unwell or find breathing difficult. Tell me." His eyes scanned the group. "Any questions?"