Chapter Thirty-Seven

Chief Inspector Malin took great pleasure in the photo he considered to be of David Little to his boss.

For a while, Chief Superintendent Michaels said nothing. "Have you checked this out?"

"What with, guv? The man had no record. He was wily and got others to do his dirty work."

Michaels churched his fingers before leaning back in his chair. "Twelve bodies are all we have is a photo, no names, nothing."

"They drowned in freshwater, guv."

Michaels ignored him and stared at the photograph. "Okay, who do we know who is clever enough to murder David Little and not get caught?"

"Haven't a clue, guv. Many people didn't like him, but most were thugs with zero IQ."

Micheals barked. "He knew the little brothers authorised the fire that killed his sister. Get ex-Chief Inspector Jack Daniels in here. He hated David Little and, in this office, threatened to murder him."

"You're saying Jack did for him and twelve others."

"He's clever enough, and I have a gut feeling he's our man."

"We don't have any evidence. What Jack said to you guv in private is hearsay."

"I'm not asking you to carry out a house call. Go and arrest him; drag him in here by his balls. I don't care, but I want him questioned on his whereabouts during the last three days."

"Okay, guv, but how did he do it."

Michael frowned at Malan's question. "Get him into the station and interview him. He might make a mistake."

"You must be joking, guv. John wrote the rules on interview techniques. I can have him dragged in here and ask the right questions, but I doubt he'll say fair cop guv. How about I visit and have a chat with him."

Michael opened his desk drawer, took out a cigarette packet, removed and lit one. Puffing a stream of smoke, he said, "Go and have a chat if you want. I'm going to kick my staff up the arse. I want them to find that something he overlooked."

"On my way, guv. I'll debrief you when I get back."

***

On leaving the station car park, Malin waited for a break in the traffic, but it never came. Frustrated with his boss, he turned on the siren, lights and hit the accelerator. With blue lights flashing, his unmarked car shot out in front of a coach, causing the driver the slam on his brakes. As he drove, his mind wandered through the labyrinth of questions he might ask. Ultimately, he decided to play the game and tell John why he was there.

Malin lost his train of thought when Angela opened the door instead of Jack.

"Can I help you, Paul?"

"I doubt it. Can you tell Jack I'd like a word?"

"He's busy. Can you come back another time? And before you jump to the wrong conclusion, Jack lives here on his own, and yes, we are in a relationship. There you are. You can now report to the lads that Jack's shagging me, okay."

Malin smiled. "Your private life has nothing to do with me, but I must talk to Jack, or the Governor will have my testicles on a plate."

She chuckled. "That's something I'd love to see. Wait, I'll go and tell him you're here."

"Can't I come inside?"

"Not my house." She shut the door.

Five minutes later, Jack opened the door and stared at Malin. "What do you want? I'm busy making a living."

Malin explained about the twelve corpses discovered in the harbour. "The governor wants to know if you have any ideas?"

Jack rubbed his chin. "They might belong to a religious cult who enjoy swimming in the sea in the moonlight."

"What makes you say that?"

"What do you want me to say? I don't know anything apart from what the BBC reported."

"So, you've no idea who they might be?"

Jack yarned. "And they made you a DCI, I'll tell you in simple terms, so you understand. I've no idea. You're the detective. Earn your money."

Malin shrugged. "I see you and Angela have teamed up."

"That's nothing to do with you, so fuck off. Our little chat has ended. " He laughed and slammed the door.

***

Malin returned to his office a seated himself just as his sergeant entered with a file.

"The autopsy reports, sir. I've had a good look. They tell us nothing we don't already know except the last page."

Malin turned to the last page, titled Dental report. He noted the detail but skipped to the identity section and read the names. "John, Bobby and David Little. The governor will not shed a tear for these three. Pity we have nothing on the rest."

"It suggests the others were from out of town," said the sergeant.

"Which means the chances of us discovering who they are is zero, but we are still no closer to how they ended up in the harbour."

"Good riddance to bad rubbish, I say, sir."

"I agree, but the guv wants answers, and now we know the Little brothers were involved. What were they up to?"

Sergeant, grab your gear. I'm going for another look at that harbour.

"I'll meet you in the car park, sir."

Malin had the engine of his car running when his sergeant arrived.

He slid into the passenger seat. "What's on your mind, sir?"

"We're missing something."

"Let's hope we find something. The governor asked where you were when I came out of the station."

"You didn't say anything, did you?"

"I'll forget you ever asked that question."

Malin smiled."Thanks."

It was the middle of the afternoon, so the traffic was light, and they made a good time. Malin parked his car alongside the harbour master's office. "I'm going to chat with the man who knows this place better than anyone. Andy Ferguson has been here since time been, and I want you with me."

Both men alighted from the car and climbed the steps to the single-roomed office.

Andy and his assistant Glen were seated drinking tea when the two men entered.

"Can I help you," asked Andy.

Both men showed their warrant cards. "Tides and stuff. Can you help me," said Malin.

Andy grinned. "Depends on the questions, but tides and stuff, as you put it, I do know something about. Grab a chair. You're making my office look untidy."

Both men grabbed a chair and seated themselves. "The bodies recovered from the harbour," said Malin. "What was the tide doing that night? Where do you think they came from?"

Andy rubbed his chin. "The night of the storm. Those unfortunate arrived on the flood and became trapped at or about high tide. The ebb would leave them suspended as you saw them." He removed a chart from his desk. "Working backwards, they entered the sea at slack water."

"What does that mean in layman's terms," asked Malin.

"The tide races when it's flooding, so those bodies were close to the harbour mouth and came in on the tide."

"My problem is where did they come from," said Malin.

Andy chuckled. "How long have you lived here, Inspector?"

"Ten years, and it is Chief Inspector, if you don't mind."

"Come with me," said Andy. "We're going for a cruise around the harbour, and you can call me Captain Evans, Chief Inspector.