Chapter Two

The year 1972

The first hint of light shone in the east as four police vehicles trailed an unmarked Rover saloon. Chief Inspector John Daniels knew the area well. In his youth, he had walked these tracks many times. Fields edged with dry stone walls sloped towards the road on either side. They passed large and small farms as they progressed. By the time they reached their destination, the route had become much narrower. Once out of their heated vehicles, the damp chill of the morning air made the officers move faster. Like ghosts, they surrounded the building. John gave his people five minutes to get into position. When ready, he removed a search warrant from his inside jacket pocket. On approaching the partly open front door, John stood behind Sergeant Miller, who pushed it open.

To their surprise, it swung wide open.

"Jesus Christ," said the Sergeant as his eyes adjusted to the gloom. As far as he could see, naked men and women covered the floor.

John chuckled. "Sergeant, can't you smell it. Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds." His eyes scanned the room. He turned to a constable, "Get those incense burners out of here. The rest of you open every door and window you can find, or we will all be flying high."

His team muttered their replies as he returned to the fresh air.

"You're a lot younger than me, Sergeant. Why do they do this?

"I've no idea, sir."

John agreed with his Sergeant. "These young men and women are the sons and daughters of respectable people. Makes me glad I don't have any kids. They must understand that all drugs are dangerous. They get hooked, and their next fix becomes what matters most. Get the photographer in here. I want evidence, not porn. Cover their bits, take the pictures and wake every one of them. As most of them will be on another planet, make sure none wander off."

He turned, "Let the dogs loose. They will find any drugs before this lot dump or swallow them."

John's face never showed what he was thinking. He smiled when the dogs barked, turning to their handlers. "They found something. Check it out."

They entered a rear room filled with more comatose bodies. The overpowering smell of cannabis again filled their lungs.

A giggle came from the farthest corner as a naked young girl pushed a young boy off her and attempted to stand.

John nodded to one of his female officers. "One for you. If you can find their clothes, get them dressed."

An hour elapsed before the party-goers assembled in the largest room.

Confident, John introduced himself and cautioned everyone. "We have discovered cannabis and packets of an unknown substance. My officers will take you to the police station. On arrival, my staff will charge you with possession of illegal drugs. When they have finished, a police doctor will take a blood sample."

"Who the hell do you think you are?" asked a tall and gaunt bald man. "This is private property. Don't you know who I am?"

John did not suffer fools at all. Over the years, he had worked his way from a beat constable to his present rank. His claim to fame was to have perfected the interrogation of suspects into an art form. He stared straight at the man in front of him. "I'm Chief Inspector of Police John Daniels, and I don't know or care who you are. I'm here to do my job."

With no trace of an accent, the man said. "I own the land, this house and most of what you can see for miles."

"Congratulations," said John. "My search warrant."