Chapter Twenty-Five

A brilliant flash and a deep rumble of thunder woke John. Half asleep, he sat up and decided a visit to the bathroom was necessary. He swung his feet onto the carpeted floor, stood and mooched to the window, drew back the curtain, and glanced at the sky. The storm had heightened in its intensity. Streaks of lightning zig-zagged and illuminated the sky, followed seconds later by a clap of thunder which shook his home.

I've never known it to rain so hard for so long.  On his return to bed, sleep evaded him. Restless, his mind assessed the details of the robbery. There was much to do, and Councillor Winters poking his nose in made life more difficult. He knew his future depended on the brothers and their associates. Dread filled his mind.

The dim light of a new day filtered through the curtains. Unable to relax, he went for a shower. His next move was clear, visit the lion's den and ask the appropriate questions. Breakfast consisted of a mug of black coffee and three cigarettes.

Sheltered by his umbrella and dressed for the weather, John chose to walk to the brothers. Despite the outpouring of Niagara Falls tumbling from his umbrella., he heard the soddenfootsteps of someone running. To his surprise, John found he gripped his umbrella's handle much tighter than he neededto. He fixed his eyes ahead and adjusted his pace. Streetwise from his days on the beat, watching and listening were habitual.

John lengthened his stride and turned along a narrow alleyway that led through the line of houses to another road. When he believed the time to be correct, he closed his umbrella. Ready to defend himself, he turned and faced an out-of-breath young man wearing a saturated blue tracksuit.

"What the fuck are you doing?" demanded the man. "Your brolly could have poked my eye out."

"Why are you following me?"

"I'm out for a run, and a lunatic believes I'm after him." Upset, he pushed the umbrella to the side and ran on, muttering, "Get a fucking life."

John shook his head. His eyes scanned in front and behind, nothing of any significance. His heart rate slowed within a few minutes, and he understood he was becoming paranoid.

He pressed the call button at the Brothers' entrance thirty minutes later.

"Who is it?" asked a minder.

"Tell David Little it's John Daniels, and I have something important to say."

When the double wrought iron gates swung open, John headed for the main door as it opened.

"Good morning, John." He turned to the minder. "You, get towels for my guest. You look like a drowned rat. Why didn't you ring? I would have sent my car to collect you."

"I need the exercise, and I prefer to walk in the rain. It clears the mind."

The minder arrived with two white bath towels and handed them to John. He took them and dried his hair and face.

"I'd rather not sit on your expensive sofas, so I'll say what I have to and leave."

David nodded to the minder, who hurried away, returning with two wooden kitchen chairs.

"Let's at least be civilised."

John grabbed one chair and seated himself while David sat on the other.

David's features showed no trace of concern. "Talk to me, John."

"When Archie, your delivery man, was unloading, we had a visitor. Councillor Winters wanted to know what we were doing. To my surprise, Archie told him a fairy story he appeared to believe, but I know him, and if he gets bored, he'll start digging. I suggest whatever date you've planned, you move it forward."

David shrugged. "Listen, I've spent time and money assembling tools, equipment and a workforce preparing for this job. We are, my friend, ready to start this Friday."

"Let's get one thing straight, I'm not your friend, and you'll never be mine. I'm here to help myself. When it's over, you'll never see me again."

"John, save yourspeeches for those who give a damn. You can go to Spain, or wherever, I don'tcare, and I'll be richer. Ours is a working convenience that will terminate when it's over. Be at the graveyard at sunset on Friday night."

"Will I see you there?"

"Of course."

"I'll take my leave."

Seconds after David closed the door on John, he turned to his minder. "You know what to do. Don't come back if you fuck up."