"I'm not talking about your pernicious theft from years ago. I'm talking about the items you took from my safe," Victor clarified.

"I don't know what you're talking about," replied Rufus.

"Oh, I think you do."

"And what would you give me, Victor, in return for these items?" Asked Rufus.

"I don't do deals," Victor told him.

"Oh, come come. You know that's not true. We did a deal all those years ago. To swindle Sarah out of her home," said Rufus, confirming what we had already guessed.

"She wanted to sell. She'd always hated the place," argued Victor.

"Where is the chosen one?" Rufus asked.

"Where are the Ankh pieces?" Asked Victor.

"We are going around in circles, old man. You do realize that Joy by herself is totally useless?" Rufus said.

"If you mean do I also have the seven acolytes, then, yes, it's all been arranged," replied Victor.

"Oh, yes, the tippin of the scales of life, that old legend. But only I know what that really means. Now, you had better tell me where Joy is, or I will make you, because only I know the truth, and only I know what will really happen when the chosen one and the cup come together. Now tell me where she is!" Rufus demanded as Mrs. Mulligan came up behind us and opened the door.

"What's going on? Rene? Now why weren't you at your aunt's funeral? Now you of all people should show some respect. Oh, my goodness!" She cried out as she saw the state of the room.

*****

"And Rufus was definitely one of them," I filled out friends in once we had gotten back to the house and we all sitting at the dining table.

"Oh, and listen to this. They said Joy was the chosen one," Nina added.

"I told you she was part of it," Alfie said excited to have been proven right.

"Alfie, she is not part of it. Maybe she's not choosing to be chosen. I need to get ahold of her!" Patricia said.

"So Rufus is one of them?" Amber asked.

"Was one of them. They kicked him out or he left or something," I corrected her.

"Oh, and Victor thinks Rufus has the puzzle pieces, only he called them Ankh pieces. I think they're more than just clues," Nina said.

"Okay, guys. Listen up. I have some news as well. I overheard the teachers talking, and tonight they're going to initiate Jason fully into the society," Fabian stated.

"So we're going back down to the cellar?" Alfie asked nervously.

"Misses Martin, a word in my office!" Victor suddenly said from behind us. We stood up slowly and followed him up the stairs to his office. On the way, I saw him looking at my new rings in surprise.

"Do you know the significance of those?" He asked me quietly enough that Nina couldn't hear.

"Um...no?" I mumbled. "What are they?" I asked. He just shook his head and ushered us through the door though I saw him glancing over at me several times.

"I know that you know that Emily Grant was in fact Sarah Frobisher-Smythe, so let us not pretend, shall we? I also know that you are aware of her link to this house," Victor said.

"She - She told us she and her sister used to live here. But who knows? She wasn't exactly Sarah clarity-Smythe," I told him.

"Listen to me. Rufus Zeno is an extremely dangerous man. You have surely seen that for yourself. After all her kidnapped you, Layla. I can protect you," Victor declared. Again, I was reminded of Snape trying to protect Harry but now was not the time for book references.