House of Yesterday

Start from the beginning

I blinked as my vision finally cleared once more. My mind racing. I glanced over at Nina as I debated whether or not to tell her. I mean, how was I supposed to explain what I had seen, let alone how!

*****

"Get your feet off the furniture, boy! What are you two starring at? I want you all in bed by 9:00, or else there will be consequences!" Victor shouted at Jerome who was on the couch reading a book as Fabian, Nina, and I walked into the living room.

"What's bugging him?" Fabian asked as I suddenly spotted something on the couch and my face drained of color.

"It's Sarah's. She's been here!" I exclaimed. Was that why I had been having those visions all day? If so, what did they mean? Why? I had so many questions.

*****

"Sarah?" My sister mumbled as we had another Sarah dream that night. She was sitting on our bed this time.

"Good-bye, my darlings. It's your quest now.
Don't let anyone stop you, my loves. There are others also searching, others less pure of heart than you two. It's up to you now. Now it's time for me to go. Layla, find your other protectors before it's too late for you - and them..." she said before fading out.

"Sarah!" Nina and I sat up in bed and started crying we had a really bad feeling. It was like she was saying goodbye...

*****

"Wow!" I commented as Nina and I watched Amber get ready the next morning.

"It's showtime!" She said.

"So election day. The big vote-off. Now, Alfie, of course, is a definite for Amber, so is Nina, Layla and myself, and that just leaves Mick and Patricia for you then, Mara. Are you getting nervous?" Jerome commented. Since Amber seemed to have gotten over his prank I had decided to let it go.

"Oh, back off, Clarke," Mick told him.

"Nina, Layla, sweeties, could you come with me, please?" Trudy said looking a bit worried. I didn't like the look on her face. I reached out and clung to my sisters hand. I had the same feeling I got after the car crash. She squeezed back and we didn't let go as we followed Trudy into the hallway.

"There's some bad news, I'm afraid. The old people's home just called," Trudy said. Nina's grip on my hand was even tighter now.

"Sarah's dead," she whispered.

"Sarah?" Trudy asked.

"She meant Emily," I said quietly.

"So sad. Oh. Now, Mrs. Mulligan wants to see you two. There's something that Emily wanted you to have. Oh, sweethearts," Trudy said as she hugged us. I decided there was definitely no point in bringing up my visions from yesterday now. At least not at the moment.

*****

"The funeral is tomorrow. It's all been taken care of by her nephew. You two are welcome to attend," Mrs. Mulligan told Nina and I.

"Nephew? I didn't know she had any relatives," I commented.

"Oh, just the one. Don't see much of him.
Now, Emily asked me to give you two this. It was when we got back from Anubis house. She was so much calmer after the visit. Contented almost. She told me you'd know what to do with it. And that it was your turn now, whatever that means," she said as she handed Nina a box. I couldn't help but remember the last vision I had of Sarah's parents. Had those been her memories?

"Yeah. She said something similar to us," Nina said.

*****

"Here, Layla, it looks like there's a letter for you, along with a file of articles," Nina said once we had arrived back in our room and started looking through the box of things Sarah had left. I took the letter, which was heavier than I would have expected and opened it. I took out the piece of paper but noticed the envelope was still heavy and tipped it upside down and gasped slightly as two necklaces and two rings fell out.