Chapter 3: Game Day

Start from the beginning

"Can I leave since you're not going to say anything?" I was still looking at me desk. She answered my question with another.

"Can you look at me?" Obeying I tilted my head up so I was making eye contact with her. She smiled but I didn't this time.

"Now can you answer my question?" I said. She frowned and shifted uncomfortably.

"I want to talk about yesterday."

Saving both of us from this conversation I interrupted her.

"Look, Ms. Hansen,"

"Stop calling me Ms. Hansen. It sounds too weird coming from you." I looked at her and continued just omitting her name entirely.

"Look, whatever happened yesterday was miscommunication okay? Like I said the feelings are not mutual. You don't have to come to the game; I just wanted your support. We don't have to talk about anything that happened yesterday. It was a mistake."

She looked shocked and didn't say anything. I took that as my sign to leave, so I did and she didn't stop me.

—————-

It was 3:50 and our coaches, Sanchez and Hamilton, were talking to us in the locker room. Coach Sanchez was speaking now.

"Defense is what is going to win us this game. That's what I want you guys to focus on. Anything else to add Coach?"

"Just play hard but have fun. My daughter is going to be watching and if she likes what she sees she'll transfer here for her senior year."

We all did a little cheer hearing that.

"Yeah so don't mess up." She joked. We all laughed. "Okay, we are gonna let Y/N and Nadia talk and pick the starting five for this game."

After that they left and everyone turned to me and Nadia.

"Okay guys," Nadia started. "This is our first home game so we need to show them that they won't win on our court."

Everybody nodded and we heard some "Hell nah's" and "Damn right's" here and there which made me laugh before I spoke.

"Foreal y'all, they're not winning tonight and we need to represent. Now, I know the whole team has supporters here but the whole senior class and some senior teachers are here for the four of us tonight."

I said while pointing to me, Nadia, Aaliyah, and Lauren.

"So, the starting five will be us four and Sandra since she's the oldest junior."

The other two juniors on the team groaned and I just smiled at them.

"Okay guys, Aaliyah will say The Our Father prayer. Then we will go and shoot around the last few minutes then we'll do the Devils chant before the game starts, alright?"

Everybody agreed and we all got in a circle and put our arms around one another.

"Our father, that art in heaven..."

—————

The whole game I was playing off. Luckily, though, my team would pick up where I would slack. I couldn't help it though. The whole Dinah thing was getting to me.

Coach Sanchez got frustrated and called another time out. The other players and I went to sit on the bench and drink some water while Sanchez talked... more like yelled.

"Come on guys. Yes, we're winning but not by much. The amount of turnovers we are getting is stupid."

She said looking at me.