Chapter 39 - S.O.S.

Tonya glides into my cube. "Cubemate, it's been exactly twenty-seven days since our last shared meal. I'm beginning to wonder if there's someone else."

I swivel around to meet her face to face. "Cubemate, there is no one else. Just you. Lunch?" Waiting for her response, she just blinks. "Let's do it."

"Yes!" She celebrates with a little dance in her seat. "I'll DM Rory and let him know lunch is on."

The soft clicks of her keyboard give the impression of a robot typing with speed and precision. It seems unreal that a real human person can type that fast and write actual words. A chuckle escapes me.

"OK. Rory is in. He's coming over now."

"Let me type this last email and we're off." I finish the last sentence and press send.

"OMG! It's been like forever since the gang has come together. I miss you guys!" Rory stands between our cubes. "Bring it in!"

Tonya and I laugh and come in for a group hug.

"You're both just lovely, gorgeous." Rory looks between us both. "Aria, you're glowing. What's up with that?"

My cheeks burn.

Might as well tell them, they'll find out soon enough.

"Um, actually, I do have news for you guys."

"Well, out with it!" Tonya whisper-yells.

"I'll tell you when we're in the cafeteria."

"OK. I'm holding you to it." Rory promises. He wraps his arms around us both. "So, how have my work wives been?"

"This polygamy thing is really working for me, you know?" Tonya laughs.

"Right! What more can a work wife ask for?" I chime in.

"You gals are a riot." Rory pushes his glasses up the bridge of his nose.

We jump on the elevator and ride down to the cafeteria. The door opens and the cafeteria is buzzing with all the excitement of a getting a gourmet meal on the cheap, courtesy of Prescott Reality. We get off and join the chatting crowd in finding our fancy for lunch.

Out the side of my eye, I spot Phoenix standing, talking with other executives.

What is she doing with him on lunch?

A tinge of jealousy makes my breath short.

Brooke is standing next to Phoenix, all eyes on her. All the execs and Phoenix are watching intently as she tells them some story. They're all captivated, laughing once she drops whatever bullshit punchline she drops.

I roll my eyes.

He didn't ask me to lunch.

"Aria!" Tonya waves her hand in front of my eyes. "Aria. Snap out it. What are you having?"

"Uh, I." I look around at them both. "You're so silly. I'm having what you guys are having, duh!"

"Cool. OK. Let's go." Rory stands in the gourmet pasta line. He turns to face us. "So, I went to the front and I'm like . . ."

She's always by his side. Is she becoming his work wife?

Becoming?!?

Girl! She already is.

Fuck!

Tonya and Rory laugh and I join them. "Oh, wow!"

"Ridiculous, right?" Rory elbows me.

"Oh, yeah." I scoff.

"What would you like?" The cafeteria worker asks from behind the glass.

"I'll take what they're having." I point ahead to Tonya and Rory.

"Authentic Italian spaghetti. Good choice!"

I smile as she plates my meal. "Thank you." I look over my shoulder to see Phoenix and Brooke leave. His hand lands on her lower back, guiding her to the executive elevator.

A hiss escapes my mouth.

Tonya looks up. "You OK, Aria?"

"Oh, yeah. I'm good." They get on the elevator facing me. Phoenix doesn't see me.

What the fuck is going on?

I can't seem to catch my breath. We find an empty round table and populate it.

"So, what's this news you have to tell us in private?" Tonya asks as she bites her toasted garlic bread.

I nod as I stir my spaghetti sauce into my spaghetti. Rounding the noodles around my fork, I take a bite and speak. "I'm. . . preggers."

"Huh?" Rory asks coughing. "I almost choked. Did you say you were pregnant?"

Tonya looks at Rory. "No!"

"Yes. I am."

"Get out!" Tonya pipes up.

"Guys, please don't tell anyone. I plan on making the announcement myself. I'll be showing soon. So. . . " I nod.

"Oh, yeah. You got it, Cubemate. My lips are sealed." Tonya takes a huge bite of her spaghetti.

"Won't hear anything from me." Rory adds as he eats his salad. "So, who's the daddy?"

I look at Rory and smile.

________________________________________________________________