Lighter <3

I stood looking around where I was, on the street with a cigarette in my mouth unlit. Trying to find someone who looked as if they would own a lighter.

As much as I was heavily trying not to judge, I didn't think I was ready to ask a person who would respond with no and I'd get all embarrassed. But a lot of people here looked as if they wouldn't smoke. A few who seemed like they'd actually turn their nose at me for even asking.

That was until I'd found someone I was nearly sure would.

I hadn't exactly ever seen him before, but there was a boy slumped up against a wall of a shop. Hands buried deep in his pockets as he looked around.

The boy had bleached blond hair, black jeans, a band shirt of a band I didn't think I'd ever heard of before, his black converse were scuffed just like mine, and I had a feeling in one of those pockets must've been a lighter.

Gathering all the courage I could to try and talk to a boy who looked so rogued as himself, I took a breath making my way over to him. Grabbing his attention as he saw me come his way.

In the California sun that was splashing on his face, his bright green eyes seem to pierce through my confidence as my legs began to go weak.

"Hey- have you erm- you got a lighter I could borrow?" I asked standing in front of him. I showed him my unlit cigarette in one hand. "Kinda forgot mine,"

The corners of his lips lifted to a smile. "That depends,"

"Huh?"

"If you let me bum a fag,"

I felt relief wash off me, nodding. "Sounds like a deal," I told him, reaching into my pocket as I pulled the packet of cigarettes out.

He took a cig out inserting in between his lips before pulling out a lighter. His lighter sparked for a few seconds before he successfully lit his cigarette, tossing the lighter to me as I did the same.

"So what's your name? I haven't seen you around before?" He asked, smoke floating out his mouth as he took the cigarette between his fingers.

I did only come over to use a lighter, but I really wouldn't of minded having a conversation with this guy.

"Probably because I don't tend to leave my room," I chuckled slightly. "I'm y/n. And you're...?"

"Billie Joe," He grinned. "But you could just call me Billie if ya like,"

"Alright then Billie," There was a smile stuck to my face. No matter how badly I wanted to take it off it felt glued. And I blamed Billie for that. "So what were you doing before I came over?"

"What? Slumped on the side of a wall?" He chuckled. "Nothing too important. Maybe just waiting for a girl to come ask me if I had a lighter,"

"You get asked often?"

"I guess. But it's rare I like to steal a cigarette from them,"

"So should I feel complimented or insulted you stole a cigarette from me?"

"I mean you can feel how you like about it," he shrugged taking a drag.

His sentence made me feel like maybe I was bothering him. But I realised thankfully that was wrong after he blew his smoke out and added.

"I just wanted to keep you here with me if I was smoking one of your cigs," He smiled.

I hadn't ever seen this guy around before. But there was something about him I liked.

"So did you not have your own cigarettes or did you just want one of mine to keep me here?" I raised a brow.

"I mean-" He reached back into his pockets for a moment. Before pulling out what looked like a slightly crooked joint. "If this counts?"