stood up <3

"Beej what are you doing here? What happened to your date?" I asked him confused, rubbing my eye from having just woken up,

"She didn't come,"

My hand dropped, falling to my side as I realised. "You mean you got stood up?"

He nodded, looking hurt. Weather he would admit it tonight or not, he's hurt. It was plain to see.

"Here, c'mon in," I moved from the door inviting him in. He walked through into the hallway as I shut the door and invited him up the stairs back into my room.

"How long did you wait for?" I asked hesitant to hear, as I made my way back over to my bed. I sat crossed legged on it pulling the covers over my legs to keep me warm. My teddy bear sat in my lap as I looked at him.

He leaned on my desk stood up, his arms crossed as he looked down at my floor. "Maybe an hour," He mumbled ashamed.

"An hour?" I asked sadly, feeling hurt for him.

He nodded looking up at me. "It's whatever anyway, I don't even care,"

It hurt when he was hurt but tried to act like he wasn't. I could see through his eyes there was pain, that it stung when he may have realised she was never gonna show up. But why did he act like he didn't care?

I use to think it was a defence mechanism. To try and convince everyone around him who listened that he really didn't care.

But tonight, staring at him as his eyes retreated back to the floor. I realised, it wasn't that he was trying to convince them around him he didn't care. But he was trying to convince himself.

He was trying to convince himself that he didn't care. Which only makes it harder to let go.

"Billie, you know you cared. And that's okay,"

"No, I dont care. I dont-"

"-Billie,"

"What?"

"Look at me,"

He looked back up from the floor. He looked like he was on the edge.

"She's not worth it," I whispered.

He let out a sigh as he walked over to me. He sat himself down on the floor besides my bed in front of me. Leaning his elbow on the mattress as he looked up at me. "I know that,"

"Do you though?"

"I... dont know..."

"She's not. I can tell you that for free- okay? You can do, so so so so so much better,"

"I think I just give up with the whole love idea entirely,"

No- don't do that.

"Billie, you can do with someone so much better. Shes not worth it. She's not worth any of it. Sometimes there are people that hurt you. Accidentally or purposefully. Sometimes they do it to help you with out you knowing, or sometimes they get their self confused and don't mean to make you hurt. You just have to figure out their intentions behind what they did are,"

"But thats hard," His voice broke slightly on the last word. Looking over at me as I felt the pain.

"I know it is,"

It sucked how she could do that to him, I looked over at him just knowing how I could never do that. I wanted to tell him how much I would never purposely hurt him. How I would never intentionally make him feel the way he did right now, how I'd never make him feel like he should just give up on love entirely.

In fact, I just wanted to tell him I loved him.

But I didn't.

Because I was never too good with words.

"At least I have you," He managed to smile.

I felt my cheeks heat up. "You'll always have me,"

He looked away with his smile, that faded pretty soon. I realised it was put on for me.

There was silence where he stared into noting. He must've been replaying the time waiting for her in his head. Or thinking about her as he stared through the air with dull eyes. But I looked at him, hoping he'd look back at me and realise I was here when she wasn't.

And he did. Well- looked at me anyway.

I gave him a smile, still holding the bear as I moved my hands to the stuffed arms. Lifting them up as if the teddy was opening its arms. "Want a hug from Bear?" I asked, giving him a lopsided smile.

He broke out a breezy laugh. But shook his head as my smile faded. Before he spoke up. "I would much prefer one from you,"

I grinned again, moving back on my bed before holding my arms out. He climbed over into them hugging my waist as I wrapped my arms around him humming slightly.

We stayed like that for the rest of the night. He fell asleep whilst I was messing with his hair, and I hoped to god he would wake up and realise who had been there for him when she never showed up.