Thirty-Six - The Things You Hear When Hiding In A Linen Closet ✔️

I have waited for over a week for them to get back from their honeymoon.

I hope Jo enjoyed it, because things are about to change.

Seriously change!

Colton is still going to be mine, but there is something far more important than that that needs dealing with first.

I have worked tirelessly to regain my strength. I need to be at the top of my game when I see her, and I can't do that on crutches.

I had gotten word from Teresa yesterday morning that they had managed to get Steve moved into what is now the third hospital, this one because it is closer to home, which is great for a number of reasons. Including the fact that now it is safe and he is close enough, I can actually go and visit with him here.

They have already repeated the same tests, and they all had, unsurprisingly, very different results than the ones done by Marshall Coverson.

It is going to take a long damn time for Steve to fully recover from his injuries, but even as long as it takes, he will recover.

The staff at the new facilities can't seem to make sense of the far different results, so instead they are calling it a miracle.

I don't give a shit what they call it as long as they are working to get him well again.

Teresa has, of course, asked me why I was so adamant about having him moved and how I knew.

So, I tell her the bare minimum—the truth—while still omitting most of it.

I tell her how he had started responding to me and that I felt like he wasn't safe there when they had so obviously messed up his tests.

And that I found it extremely odd—which I knew they did too—that his diagnosis had gone from a long road to recovery to no hope at all so quickly.

She is just thankful that I had been so insistent and that they had been able to get him moved.

So me leaving out all of the rest didn't arouse any suspicions from her, which is good because I need all of my focus to be on Jo.

■■■

Today is the day.

Today, they will be home.

I check the location and see that they are only a couple of hours out.

I use that time to mentally prepare myself for confronting her.

I get an idea; it is risky, but I'm not in the frame of mind to be concerned with some "what ifs".

I pull open one of the kitchen drawers, searching through it.

Ah ha, bingo.

I dangle the keys off of my finger, smiling from ear to ear.

I toss them into the air, catch them, grab my car keys off the counter, and head out the door.

■■■

I let myself into the house easily enough.

Now, where to hide out of sight for when she comes in?

I look around and play them coming home out in my head.

What they will say, where they will go, etc.

I finally decide on the linen closet at the top of the stairs.