51

INDIGO

I was panting so loud I could barely hear over my own breathing. For the tenth time that week I told myself I needed to start training again. My stamina, strength, and speed have definitely taken a downturn ever since I left the Alphas.

Wolf, Nydia and I sprinted down the stairs and through the halls for what felt like hours. It was only a few seconds ago, once we had reached the underground passages, that Wolf deemed it safe enough to stop. The girl with red hair, Phoenix Night, was no longer on our trail, if she ever even was to begin with.

I cursed myself. I almost had Xavier. I had Xavier fucking Kingston at the end of my blade. I could've had the Heir of Intellects' head in my hands if it wasn't for Phoenix. Hell, I could've been the Crown Intellect if Damien had also died, though I wasn't really sure what I would do with the position. The idea of sitting on one of those thrones was far too great, too far-fetched to even imagine.

I gathered a breath and turned to Wolf and hissed, "What happened to 'do not engage'?"

Wolf shook his head. "I didn't intend to. Xavier found me first."

"Arielle found us too," I hissed. "The goddamned Crowns always win."

"What happened?"

"I got away, obviously."

He raised an eyebrow. "You got away?"

I looked back to where Nydia lagged behind, out of earshot, uncharacteristically quiet, and Wolf followed my gaze. I knew how Arielle Fortier killed, how she hunted her prey, and I knew that she let us go. There was no she would miss, no she could've lost us in that hallway. She let us go and the reason was clear as day.

I knew how close Nydia had been to the Crowns while we were Alphas, but after I learned who she was truly working for, I always thought it was a facade, one that was similar to my own. Even when Wolf had pointed it out, I didn't quite believe that their friendship was anything more than a lie. But it was true. True enough to share a hug with Xavier, to make Xavier let her go despite knowing something was wrong. True enough that Arielle Fortier, Concorde's killing machine, let her live despite outright treason.

True enough that Nydia ran up to Xavier, that I had to drag Nydia away from Arielle, that she whispered an apology to her, that she hid behind the door when I attacked Xavier. And we hadn't even seen Damien today. If she had, I wondered if she would have remained with us or left with the Crowns. I didn't want to know the answer.

I clenched my fists. As much as it pained me to do so, despite her being my only consistent friend this whole year, I would need to be careful around Nydia from now on. Keep my distance, especially the closer and closer we get to war. I didn't know if she could be trusted anymore. It would hurt, but I've had enough betrayals. It's time I started preparing for the worst.

Wolf looked back at her again, breaking my chain of thought.

"How did Trysha Dayholt kidnap you?" Wolf asked, loud enough for her to hear. It was a logical question since we did need to know how she infiltrated the base.

Nydia quickened her pace, nearing us. "It wasn't Trysha."

I furrowed my eyebrows. We had assumed it was Trysha since she was the only Raven who knew about us and could've taken Nydia on in a fight, but if it wasn't her then...

"Then who?"

"It was the Raven mole."

Shit.

"So who is it?" I asked. "How did they kidnap you?"

"Well, I was trying to track down Rupert and—"

"Who?"

"Rupert. From the Kitchens."

I blinked. "Is he a cook?"

"He's a rat," Wolf answered.

Oh.

"I was trying to track him down and I came across a hallway that was too clean and a door that was super clean and I was just thinking about how it must've been crazy people or slithering mattresses. So then I opened the door and danced inside and she hit me on the head with a fire extinguisher and there was a snake on the ceiling and—"

"Wait, wait, wait," Wolf said, placing his hands up. "Slow down. She who? Who hit you with a fire extinguisher?"

Nydia hesitated. Wolf only tilted his head, telling her he was waiting. She took a deep breath and opened her mouth to answer, but there was a shout down the hall.

"Wolf! Nydia!" A voice called. We turned to find Cree barrelling towards us, face red from the exertion.

He came to halt before us, almost collapsing to the floor as he gulped out, "Damien and Xavier planting bombs. Get out. Now."

Of course they would.

Wolf cursed and he grabbed Cree by the shoulder, urging him forward as he ordered, "Run."

The three of them began to sprint, but I gritted my teeth and grabbed Nydia by the arm before she could pass it. I had to stop myself from loosening my grip as she winced.

"Who was it?" I asked her.

"Indigo," Wolf ushered, "we can do this later. We need to—"

"Who was it?" I asked again.

She swallowed before speaking. "It was Laine's daughter. Lily."

Everyone stilled. Even Cree, who was panting a moment before, fell silent.

Lily.

Lily—the shy girl with dark blonde hair and wide brown eyes, the one I met in a hallway only a few days ago as she cried after being thrown aside by her father, the one who seemed to have a childish crush on Wolf, the one who was so genuine as she explained that she didn't hold a grudge against me or other assassins—was the Raven mole. She had been responsible for the murder of a Rebel, feeding information to the Ravens, and kidnapping Nydia.

"That's impossible," Cree muttered. "Lily would never..."

As the words trailed off, I realized a viable motive—spite. She wanted to go against the father who ignored her, who thought her inconsequential. As I met Wolf's eyes, I knew he was thinking the same.

I turned back to Nydia.

"But that doesn't make sense. Everyone at the base was accounted for, besides you. No one else was reported missing. How did she get you here?"

"Technically, Laine is Lily's only emergency partner, but I figured he would always be too distracted and busy leading everyone else during emergencies to realize that Lily was missing. So I always checked up on Lily as well. Maybe Laine forgot her again. No one else would notice that she was gone except maybe one of us or Nisa, but I guess you've all been here ever since I was kidnapped."

Cree shook his head. "This is still crazy. I can't believe it."

And then there was a click behind us. A gun cocking. My heart dropped as I turned slowly, facing the girl who had tears in her eyes.

Lily had her gun pointed straight at Wolf, as she hesitated. Her lips wobbled as she spoke.

"I'm sorry."

This is a double update, so make sure you didn't miss Chapter 50 which was published today as well! :)

Also, I'm officially eighteen tomorrow! Can't believe I started this series a little over two years ago when I was fifteen. Anyways, love you guys!