10

INDIGO

Nydia skipped ahead as we made our way to the top floor, the guards walking on either side barely giving room for me to breathe. I caught a glimpse of the world beyond the dusty window and squinted at the sudden outburst of sunlight. I hadn't seen the light in... days?

"Nydia," I called.

She whirled around so suddenly that I almost crashed into her.

"Yes?" she asked with her trademark smile.

"How long was I in the cell?"

Nydia thought for a moment. "I don't know. Days are weird. I can't remember what I ate for lunch today, but I can remember what I ate for lunch yesterday. Or was it the day before that? I don't remember."

"Three days," one of my guards answered. "Now move."

We continued down the hall and up one last flight of stairs before stopping in front of a bare door. Nydia knocked three times.

"We're here and awaiting the free cookies!"

Cree answered the door and nodded at the guards, strands of blonde hair falling into his face. The guards nodded back and left.

Cree stepped aside. "Come in."

I stepped into the room, Nydia on my tail. It was wide, with numerous chairs spread around the room to form a semi-circle. Laine sat in the center of the semi-circle with Wolf on his right. Cree settled down in the armchair to Wolf's right, the three of them watching me.

To Laine's left was a woman I normally saw with him, though I knew little to nothing about her. She looked around the same age as him, so I assumed she was his wife. To her left sat Brianna, a girl who looked to be in her early twenties. 

As far as I knew, she was an orphan who joined the Rebels years ago when Laine first started the movement. She was quite loyal to the cause, so loyal that when she was sixteen years old, her group, who had been trying to meet possible recruits, were ambushed by assassins. She stayed back to let her friends and the recruits escape, and while she managed to flee eventually, she lost an eye and a hand in the process.

I wasn't sure if her hand was indeed a prosthetic or not since it looked so real, but the black patch over her left eye and the scar running out from under it and down her cheek was proof that at least part of the story was real.

Nydia made herself at home by one of the tables in the corner, munching on what little sweets were left. Though she wasn't a part of the official head council, no one questioned her presence here.

There was a hanging silence as I felt the weight of all their eyes pressing me down. Only Nydia's gaze was welcoming and familiar.

"I thought my trial was to happen in front of everyone," I remarked, holding my chin up. "What happened to 'everyone has a say'?"

"Due to the controversy surrounding your situation and the complicated nature of the investigation, we concluded that your life might be in danger if we were to hold your trial in public," Wolf explained, his piercing eyes giving away no emotion.

"So you were trying to keep me safe," I snarled, sending my response in Laine's direction. "How nice. I feel very welcome."

"Despite what you may think, we're doing our best to give you a fair trial," Laine said.

"By locking me up with no clause?"

"By locking you up under the clause of facing a trial to prove your innocence and protect the people living under our roof." Laine looked at the others. "Shall we begin?"