45

INDIGO

It was only moments ago that Nydia ran into me.

Literally ran into me.

After the Ravens tried to stop me with the water flooding into the halls, I continued down the hall until I found a stairwell that led me right back to the rest of the Raven base. There was nothing else in my way, not even a Raven. It was almost worse than facing an obstacle.

I'd been walking through halls and climbing up the stairs, trying to find Nydia and my mother for at least a half-hour when someone came barreling around a corner and crashed into me, sending us both sprawling across the ground.

I quickly got to my feet and looked at the girl who smiled. "Nydia?"

"Indigo!" she whispered.

"Are you okay?"

"I mean, it always feels like I'm watching the world through a flat screen, so yeah. I think I'm fine."

"How the hell did you get out? And what are you doing here?"

"Arielle set me free," she said. "I just walked away from her and found you."

My mind was reeling. So, Arielle did manage to get Nydia. Did she find my mom too?

Nydia tilted her head. "Your clothes are wet."

I ignored her indirect question and merely asked, "Where is my mother?"

Nydia shrugged. "They said they were moving her to one of the top floors."

I nodded. "Let's go get her."

I led her down the next hallway and we climbed up more stairwells, making our way up, hoping to find some kind of cell or at least a sign of more security. And then when we were walking down another hall, we turned a corner to find him.

Xavier was walking in the other direction, his back to us. I was frozen for a moment.

Shit.

I darted back behind the corner, heart pounding, hoping he didn't hear us. I grabbed Nydia's arm too, but she shook free of my grasp. I could barely contain myself from shouting in panic as Nydia ran down the hall, straight for Xavier. I peeked around the corner.

"Xavier!" she squealed. He turned around, hand reaching for his gun before he paused, registering who it was. She barreled right into him, tackling him in a hug with so much force that he stumbled back a few steps.

Xavier looked angry at first, his eyes flaring. I reached for my knife, ready to throw. And then the expression faded as he looked over his shoulder, checking the empty hall before he raised his hand and gently patted her on the back. My jaw dropped.

Did Xavier Kingston just show some affection for a possible enemy?

What the hell?

Nydia finally let go and took a step back, still grinning. Xavier looked her up and down, taking in her Streeter appearance before he started questioning her.

"Why are you here?" he asked.

She shrugged. "Ravens took me."

"Did they take Indigo Fluor?"

"I don't think so."

Xavier tilted his head. "Who let you free?"

"Arielle."

"Where were you?"

"In a cell."

"Where have you been since graduation?"

"Nowhere."

"Oh?" He raised an eyebrow. "And what were you doing in 'nowhere'?"

"Nothing."

Xavier leaned forward, bending to be at eye level with Nydia. "You know what I think?"

"No. I can't read minds yet."

"I think you've been with Indigo Fluor."

I sucked in a breath.

Nydia merely leaned forward too, mocking him as she smiled. "Okay." And then she turned to leave.

But, before she could, Xavier grabbed her wrist. "I'm not done."

Nydia smiled and shrugged his grip away. "Don't worry. I'll be back. I still need to teach you my secret donut recipe."

She took a few steps away before pausing and facing him again.

"Also, I didn't see Damien on the upper floors yet. He normally would've been here by now. You should check on him."

And then she walked back down the hall, the way she came. I ducked back behind the corner, holding my breath as Nydia joined me. I listened carefully, hoping Xavier wouldn't follow Nydia's path. And then, after a few moments of deadly silence, Xavier started walking in the other direction, his footsteps quicker than before. I listened as his footsteps faded away entirely and were replaced with complete silence. I released a sigh of relief.

"Oh, look. You're still alive."

I nearly shouted as Wolf appeared right next to me, amusement filling his gray eyes. I didn't even hear him approach me, and I had no idea how long he'd been here. Sometimes I forgot that he was the boy in the woods who seemed to move like a ghost. It sent shivers down my spine.

Nydia, on the other hand, wasn't even phased.

"I know. It's a miracle," she responded. "I hope Rupert from the Kitchens still is too."

"I'm sure he's fine as long as he didn't jump out a window like the last one."

"Alex."

"Right. God bless his soul," he said before turning to me.

He looked me up and down, noticing my wet clothes, though he didn't point them out. I was grateful.

"I found Cree on his way down," he explained. "He already managed to get a hold of Eveleen Sharpe. Nisa's taking Eveleen Sharpe down, out of the base, and I sent Cree to keep an eye on Damien. If they're planning something, Damien would be playing a major role in it. I'll keep an eye on Xavier for now. The both of us will stop tailing them in exactly one hour. You two need to get out of here and try your best to avoid Arielle Fortier, and her thief friend Phoenix Night. Remember: do not engage unless absolutely necessary."

The two of us nodded and he said a terse "Good luck" before slipping past us, following Xavier's path without a sound. I merely nodded at Nydia, who nodded back, and the two of us took off running down the hall, retracing our steps.

We turned the corner and slammed through a pair of double doors, entering a stairwell when we both skidded to a halt. My heart stopped. My stomach plummeted. I was paralyzed. I stared at the girl standing in front of me, her blue eyes trained right on me, golden blades in her hands. At last, I found my voice.

"Arielle."

"Indigo."

She flung her blade.