Chapter 31 - Trunk Of The T-rex

Manliness.

Can it be quantified?

Is it even important?

What does it say about a man's worth?

Or is it simply an old, already outdated concept?

So many questions to be asked. So many answers unknown.

How can you determine a man's manliness?

Is it their actions?

Their words?

Or their worldview, which influences those around them?

Of course, it can be those rather abstract terms.

But you can look at the corporeal side as well. Or, to be more specificthe superficial.

Yes, some consider that to be meaningful.

But everyone is different, and some may consider other measures.

But, even if you do, keep in mind one thing.

There could always be a T-rex lurking in the vicinity.

---

Right now, I stood next to Takahiro at the urinals and peed. While my original goal had been to confront him, I legitimately needed to go to the toilet as well.

Although it was night, a damp, warm breeze drifted in from the little window in a corner of the bathroom, along with the cool sound of pine tree crickets chirping. It was only August and they were already out. Must be because we were in the mountains. Their quiet voices echoed gently in my ears.

".. Aw man, I feel pretty good after that. How about you, Kiyotaka?"

"I'm fine."

I turned towards Takahiro. He was looking out the window at the slender crescent moon hanging in the night sky. Maybe it was the moonlight and the chirping crickets, but his profile struck me as faintly melancholy.

"By the way, now that I can think clearly again, there's something I wanna ask you," he said, shaking off the last few drops and zipping his fly.

"It's not about those other girls, right?"

There was an unnatural silence as he washed his hands. Then he continued with more of his usual cheer.

"Nope. Kiyotaka, is that apathetic visage of yours a mask?" He laughed at me.

I know how he arrived at that conclusion, but I didn't necessarily agree. 

"Do you really think so?"

"Course'. I mean, don't take this the wrong way, but you had a pretty drastic change back there. Like, from the usual, quiet guy to someone really rude and blunt." Takahiro smirked.

"I understand where you're coming from, but I think I differ from your assessment."

"How so?"

Wearing a mask. Hiding your true personality. Forging a persona for yourself. There are many different reasons why one would do such a thing. Maybe there's a secret that needs to be hidden, or a past that shall not be revealed.