Chapter 22 - Sickening Sweetness

The generous bluebird was confused by the crow's offer.

It couldn't understand why it had come to its aid in the first place, why the yellow gem was placed on the branch.

"Returned.. your kindness?" it mulled.

Kindness? It was kind? To whom? It possessed such qualities?

It kept its state of denial, but the crow was determined.

"It doesn't matter how long it takes."

The bluebird got worried, obviously. It was winter—if they stayed any longer, freezing to death was a certainty.

After desperate consideration, it accepted the yellow gem and stored it in its beak.

As always, its instincts forced it to share with others. It would never take something for themselves.

But this was different. This time, the bluebird had received a gem from someone else, and not just simply found it somewhere in the world of white.

In other words, it was not its own effort. The bluebirds most important principle was to help others, even at the cost of damaging oneself.

What should it do? Share it with the others and disappoint the crow?

It prudently considered the dilemma it was in. Either way, someone would get hurt. That's the last thing the generous bluebird wants.

After a long time in the cold, it had a genius idea

"I will give half of it to my friends, and the other one..."

It encountered another problem.

What did the crow actually want? Why would it be disappointed if it just shared with the others?

"Accept the gem.. returned your kindness.."

The bluebird kept mulling over its words.

And finally, it got an idea. It asked the crow the crucial question.

"Is the yellow gem.. truly supposed to be for me?"

Not being able to believe its eyes, it was utterly baffled. An encounter of this sort had never happened before.

However, the crow didn't answer. It simply stayed silent and watched. Ever watching, until the bluebird made its own decision. Went its own path.

Under the crow's intense gaze, the bluebird made up its mind.

It swallowed the yellow gem, not sharing it with anyone. Neither the crow, nor its friends.

Bafflement.

Surprise.

Bewilderment.

All those emotions slowly but surely transitioned and bloomed into a new tree full of life.

Joy.