Chapter 20 - Reoccurring Reconnaissance

The Unknown.

Scary and uncomfortable, no?

It is normal for human beings to reject that which does not fit into their view.

To fear it, to deny it, to look at it with dread in their eyes.

You try to stay away from it, far away.

But can you truly keep that up? Can you keep staying ignorant of that which is not known?

How do you know it is harmful?

How do you know it is helpful?

There are known knowns; these are things we know we know. 

We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say, we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

And you can continue this ridiculous chain infinitely, like a well-oiled perpetuum mobile.

But do you really want to drag the cloak of ignorance over your being and blind yourself?

Surely, one must seek part of the truth themselves.

While habit and comfortability are tempting, they are the devil's forbidden fruit.

The enticement it creates blinds your senses.

No vision;

No taste;

No touch;

No sound;

No smell.

All gone, left alone in a dark pit.

The unknown may be something you didn't expect—something you wouldn't have foreseen at all.

An idea so out there your mind can't keep up, and you ascend the stages of denial.

"How can they be like this!?"

"I don't understand.. this should not be possible. At all!"

"Never in my life could I have imagined something like this..."

Thoughts like those start wandering your mind once your eyes face reality—once the truth stares you right into the face, and you are forced to stare back.

You deny and deny and deny. And then you scream, to get the last bit of your delusions out—to let the one who has travelled the same journey as you hear your useless plights.

Once those delusions have been fulfilled, you stare straight above at the limitless sky.

Slowly but surely, the feelings of fear and unknowingness fade into the background.

Instead, they are shone upon by the bright rays of the sun—the one that lightens up even the darkest of shadows.

Gone are the days of unknowingness—replaced by the glory of realization.