Classes and Professors

(A/N: I'll put this chapter before the tournament to slightly fix the timeline.)

Kathyln POV:

As I walked through the densely packed hall, I sensed some gazes here and there after they recognised my appearance and uniform. On the way to my next class, which was Practical Mana Manipulation, I realized that there were quite a bit of students who had bonds. Most weren't so impressive, like the horned rat I saw on a student's shoulder, but there were some rather large beasts that students were proudly showing off. 

When I arrived to my next class, I noticed that the layout of this room was very different. It was shaped like a miniature arena, with a battling platform in the middle, encased in a barrier field, and rows of seats circling around it.

I found Arthur sitting in a seemingly random spot and decided to sit next to him.

"May I sit here?" I asked him while standing beside him.

"Sure, go ahead." Arthur moved his bag that he had on the seat next to him so I could sit. I gave him a slight bow before removing my notes, carefully straightening out my skirt in a refined manner before taking a seat.

"Well, look who we have here! If it isn't Princess Kathyln and my rival, Arthur Leywin." From the front of the door, Feyrith confidently walked towards Arthur and I.

"Aren't you loud this morning." Arthur leaned his head on his hands.

"Well, it is a fine morning today. Didn't the commencement ceremony today make you excited?" he harrumphed as he took the seat on Arthur's other side.

"While it is a bit late into the morning, it is still technically the morning so...Good morning!" A rather upbeat, bulky man wearing a light armour clapped to get everyone's attention. He looked more like a low-class adventurer instead of a professor but when I inspected his mana core level, I was surprised to see that he was light yellow stage.

"Well, we have quite the crowd of students. I know my class is always popular but I'm honoured to have this many students! My name is Professor Geist. Welcome ladies and gents, and welcome DC officers. It is a privilege to have you in my class." I couldn't tell whether he was being sarcastic or not when he directed his little welcome at us but I chose to not mind it.

"This is Practical Mana Manipulation, or PMM as I like to call it. That means we will be doing things very practically! Practically, in my definition, means through example, because what better way to learn than through hands-on experience, right?" His deep bass voice boomed throughout the class, waking up anyone that might've still been sleepy, which included Arthur.

"I understand that most of you are first-years and that many of you have just awakened not too long ago. However, parents have been more and more dedicated in teaching their children as soon as they awaken before they even send them here, so even that assumption is mostly inaccurate. However, for the sake of equality, I shall assume that every first year is a beginner in mana manipulation, of course with the few exceptions, i.e. the three sitting right there." He pointed to the three of us while giving us a wink, drawing attention to us from everyone inside the room.

"I'm sure everyone, including myself, is curious as to what sort of level in ability our newly formed DC has. They are the ones that are going to be protecting the students here in this academy after all, right?" Several shouts of agreement spawned from around the room.

My brows twitched in annoyance on my usually expressionless face.

"Hmph! Well. if Professor Geist insists, I shall volunteer myself on behalf of the disciplinary committee to demonstrate the ability that our group, that was personally picked by the director, possesses." Feyrith got up from his seat and placed his right hand over his heart in a proud manner.

"HAHA! That's more like it! Feyrith, correct? Come down to the stage," he gestured.

Feyrith elegantly hopped down from his seat onto the battle arena in the center of the large classroom. Some of the students cheered for him while others were eager for blood.

"Hmm, if my guess is correct, you are a light orange stage conjurer with water specialisation, correct? Pretty good for a fifteen-year-old, even as an elf." The professor rubbed his chin, studying him.

"Yes! By the fact that I cannot sense your mana core level, I assume that you must be quite a bit of a higher level than myself. It is an honour to receive your tutelage." While Feyrith's response was very well-mannered, he had a slight tone of arrogance, as if implying that even if the professor was a higher level, he could stand his own against him.

"Of course! I am at light yellow level stage, after all! To make things fair, I will only use long range attacks in this demonstration." He took out a two-handed sword from a dimension item he had attached to the buckle of his belt and stabbed it into the stadium behind him.

I could tell Feyrith was about to protest that it wasn't necessary but before he could, Professor Geist held his hand up. "Please. If I were to lose, I would at least have an excuse, right? Please cut this old man some slack." He winked at him as the other students started laughing.

He sounded sincere but I could tell that he was confident in winning against Feyrith, even with this handicap.

"Feyrith is going to lose," I said softly.

"Oh really? How can you tell?" Arthur asked me but I didn't respond.

"Let me quickly set up the barrier before we begin so that our audience is safe from mana projectiles." The professor mumbled a few incantations and a space around the arena started glowing dimly.

"Let us begin!" He grinned as Feyrith took out his wand and prepared for a spell.

(A/N: Feyrith got beaten up like in the og novel.)

"Would anyone else like to volunteer?" he stated while looking at Arthur and I. I suddenly shot up from my seat and spoke. "Please guide me well," I said simply before lightly hopping down into the arena.

"Kathlyn Glayder. I must say that it is an honor to have your presence in my humble class." Professor Geist gave me a deep, exaggerated bow. "Please do not hold whatever the results may be in this 'demonstration' against me," he continued, putting on a pitiful face.

I just nodded, drawing my staff out from the dimension ring on my pinky.

"Very good! Let us proceed!" The Professor clapped, fire igniting from between his palms.

The very air froze around me as I released my ice magic. Javelins and arrows made of ice shot towards the professor who countered them somewhat easily using blue flames.

'How about this then?' I thought before shooting swords made of ice towards him. This spell was one I learnt from Master Varay and would not melt easily.

As I thought, Geist underestimated the attack and his blue flames weren't able to melt them in time. He panicked as he was about to be skewered by my attacks, however, I simply dissolved them into thin air.

"Pick up your sword," I said coldly while looking at him.

He gulped and picked up his sword, ready to get serious. 'Good,' I thought as I continued firing ice projectiles as him.

He able faring better this time as he parried my attacks and closed the distance between us.

'Time to go full power,' I thought as I siphoned more mana through my core, flooding my mana veins as I created more powerful projectiles. 

The Professor's advance towards me halted as he desperately tried to break my attacks. 

[Ice Age]

I used my strongest spell while he was struggling against the ice projectiles, causing him to be frozen alongside his blue fire. 

"Break," I muttered, causing the ice casing around him to shatter and reveal an unconscious Professor.

"Weak," I declared before getting out of the room.

(A/N: A very strong Kathyln in this fic indeed.)