Prologue

Prologue

|00|

Kalíanna

I look out at the view in front of me in pure awe. I loved nothing more than to admire the breath taking sunset on a beach in the Caribbean. The beautiful hues of purple and orange paints the water beneath it a golden colour.

The wind calms as the day slowly comes to an end allowing the night to crawl in behind it.

I take a sip of my drink, still deep in thought as I replay the day's events in my mind.

I allow my body to relax itself, unwind, because it's not everyday you witness a sight as beautiful as the one before me.

A sigh escapes my lips as I will all my anxiety to leave along with it.

I don't even bother taking out my phone to document the moment as I usually would, I wanted to appreciate the scenery. Some instances were meant to be experienced in the present time.

I grab my glass a final time emptying the contents into my mouth. I finally make my way back to my suite when all the amber colours of the sky had bled out into the now dark waters.

I like to tell myself that I'm what the world doesn't have to offer, I'm the brilliance dull minds lack. In all its simplicity, I'm that orphic being that is trapped within the arms of society.

My story begins exactly where it ended, with the same question that I have been dawned with my entire life.

What if I had it all?

I have everything. . .yet nothing at all.

All the things around me seemed to be priceless. . .but within my heart? They hold no real value.

I guess you could say I am a material girl, living in a material world—because that's all it is and nothing more.

There is so much more to a human than their possessions and yet everyone seems to be blinded by all that glimmers.

My family included.

I'm told constantly of how ungrateful I am just because I don't make vanity the focal point of my happiness, not saying at times it doesn't help, but to what extent?

I feel trapped mentally and no amount of cars, money or trips could free me from this state.

I am on a journey—a long one—to find myself and dig deep to find who I truly am.

I take a glance in the mirror as I prep for bed.

I grab my phone, putting it on do not disturb before laying down to get some rest.

• • •

What If We Had It All?

This story is told from two perspectives. From someone who longed for all life had to offer, Kalíanna, who had the ideal life that many would kill for or many worked so hard for. This young girl who lead what society deemed as a privileged life, who "had it all"...but a what cost? Her happiness.

Javier was from a struggling background, he worked his way to the top. All his life he sought material things, thinking it heal the scars from his past. What will happen when he finds out all the wealth he has acquired won't heal his broken soul?

The two are childhood friends who venture on different paths but have a similar struggle. Will the change in their friendship be for the better or the worse?