Chapter 14: The Princess

----Sophie POV----

As I walked through the hallway of our grand palace, I found the 'Grand Councillor', a 62yo man, that served our family since my mother appointed him 12 years ago. Helping in the realms management must have been rather stressful, because he grew bald since then.

"Is the queen still in the meeting?"

"Yes my princess, but it should end soon."

"Could you please tell the queen that I need to see her as soon as possible?"

"I live to serve my princess!"

With this words the old man made his way to the throne room.

I decided I would wait for her in the garden. I walked along the corridor, that never ceased to amaze me. It was entirely made out of marble, with huge windows on the right side, from which one could see the garden of the palace. On the left side there hung many paintings of former queens and kings. After some minutes I stood before a door that was leading me to the outside.

*Well...not the real outside...*

9 years ago, some assassin tried to kill me and since then I was not allowed to leave the palace. My mother, Queen Elizabeth the II, isolated me as much as possible, so as to not allow another attempt on my life. This was a huge problem, I still hadn't forgotten my goal in this life.

*I need to find her, even if it means that i will die trying...*

As I walked out on the small path that was covered on each side with hedges, I thought back at the time I asked my mother about a

'Strange woman in my dreams' and if we could find her.

It was a lie, but I couldn't tell her that I got reborn in this world, as was the girl.

Back then she looked at me with a hint of shock in her eyes, I didn't know why, but the girl I described made her somewhat uncomfortable.

*Is Mother like the people back on Earth?*

If this was the case, then Kagei-Senpai would have an equally bad life here.

*But I will safe her from all the evils of this world.*

I raised my right fist into the air.

"What are you doing, princess?"

It was a maid.

*Shit!...oh god this is so embarrassing...go away...please go away...*

Some tears rolled out of my eyes and I was furiously blushing.

The maid quickly bowed down and said:

"I am sorry my princess...I didn't want to make you uncomfortable...please don't tell the queen what I did..."

*Why does she beg me not to tell my mother? She looks rather panicky...*

I couldn't make anything out of it, so I just continued to walk along the path.

As I sat myself down in a small white pavilion, another maid brought me tea. It was a sweet apple tea.

*Ohhhh...I love it.*

As always I first used my enhanced eyesight to check if the tea was in some form altered.

*Who would have thought? It is just normal tea. Why do I need to do this Mother? Just because someone tried to kill me?...it wasn't even a servant or a guard, neither a noble, it was just some random villain trying to kill this poor young princess. The only sad part about this, was that no hero in shining armor saved me...this guy attacked me with dark energy, wounding me heavily, and then ran away. They never caught him, but since then many people started to fear Mother...I don't even know why, but I guess that's part of being a queen.*

My mind began to drift off to some novels I've read in my past life. I absolutely loved fantasy romances, especially those containing Yuri-Elements. I read books nearly every day, and luck would have it that this palace had a large library too. But sadly there were no novels, just history books about all this worlds past, so I resigned to reading those. It helped me understand some of the fundamental differences between this world and Earth.

*Maybe one day I can bring this world books for entertainment...*

"Are you lost in your thoughts again, my lovely daughter?"

"Mother!"

There she stood, before my very eyes, this beautiful creature of a human. She was about 1.75 meters large, had an hourglass figure, round D-Cup Breast, that I was absolutely NOT jealous about, and long blonde hair. Her green eyes were called the 'Emeralds of the Kingdom', because their brightness gave everyone around her a comforting feeling.

*This is so unfair...*

I took a sip of tea.

"Huh?"

It was cold.

"Oh my, did my sweet little daughter lost her time again?"

I looked into the sky only to see that it was slowly getting dark, meaning I sat here for at least one hour without doing anything.

"I AM SUCH A FAILURE!"

I hit my head against the table, only to regret it a second after.

"Ow ow ow ow ow..."

Mother exploded into loud laughter.

*How can I achieve my goal when I can't even drink tea when it's still warm?*

"So you wanted to see me Sophie?"

"I am sorry Mother..."

I took a deep Breath.

"Is it true? Is there a big war going on between humans and demons?"

Mother looked at me, maybe contemplating what to tell me.

"Who told you?"

"I don't know who it was...I heard it when a few of our guards spoke about it..."

"Sophie...you are still to young for something like war, but I know you are worried...listen...the war began roughly 14 years ago, when Charles, the Hero of Grimveil, killed queen Seraphine, the last remaining descendant of queen Lilith. I hope your teacher taught you about these persons..."

"Yes he did, but he never said that the queen of the demons was dead..."

"I always made sure that they don't tell you anything about it...but now it's already to late...but listen Sophie...we are not at war, so don't worry about it. The demon realms wont last much longer, it is sad but we cant change that. All we can do is give the survivors a new place to live."

"What will happen to the demons who decide not to flee?"

I could already guess it, I wasn't naive enough to think they would just continue their lives like nothing happened. But I wanted to know if Mother would tell me the truth.

"I don't know..."

*Liar...just say they will be slaughtered...Grimveil hates demons to their bones*

The next days I tried again and again to get some information out of the palace servants and guards. But every time I asked them, they had these fearful looks on their faces.

*Could it be...is Mother some kind of monster?*