Chapter 13: Preparations

After I made up my mind how I would prepare for the journey ahead, it was already in the afternoon. The sun could still be seen, but it wouldn't last too long.

"Fenrir, let's go hunting!"

And so we did. I went to the river, and searched for animals south of the riverbank. After maybe one hour of searching I found a deer, standing in the middle of a small clearing, only a few Meters away from the river.

I began to slowly sneak up on him, I've readied my bow as soon as I spotted him. When I was in range for a try, I started to gather Mana and imagined a icy arrow in my head, as I spun the bow a arrow formed inside my hand and knocked itself into the string. This was the best thing about the bow the Almanis gifted me. I would never need to bring arrows with me, because of some enchantments made on it, it was able to let elemental arrows loose with a portion of my Mana. The first time I tried it, my arrow was not sturdy enough and just shattered, but since then I trained this technique a little bit and now I was able to at least summon small and sturdy arrows that could pierce at least skin of animals, as well as light armor.

*But against metal Armor, this will not be enough...so I have another goal for this month now...train myself to create better arrows...well let's see how this goes...*

I let loose and the arrow flew in the deer's direction. It pierced it's throat and he fell over.

"YES!...I made it!"

Fenrir jumped out of the bushes we hid in and finished the deer of, so it wouldn't suffer to much. The big advantage of using ice arrows for the hunt was, that the wound of the killed animal freezes at an instant and doesn't bleed. I loaded the deer on Fenrir's back and we made our way back to Suben.

Back in the village, I skinned the deer and sliced some meat off of it and gave it to Fenrir. He happily ate the meal while I hung our game over the fire.

As it was getting dark and the deer was ready to be eaten, I sliced more and more meat off of it to eat, while occasionally giving some to Fenrir.

*It feels so good to eat something warm again.*

When I felt that I was sufficiently fed, I cut the deer to the bone, so I wouldn't waste any meat. I then stored it in a small ice box, I created, and placed it on the small walkway of the palisade. The smell of it wouldn't reach very far, but I was still concerned that it would attract monsters or animals.

This night, we had a full moon, so I was able to see very clear in the night as i went to the river to get something to drink.

After that I went straight to bed, and while lying there I made my plans for tomorrow.

*It would be best if I solve the food problem as fast as I can, so let's try and hunt as much as possible in the next days...*

I slowly drifted into sleep while stroking Fenrir's head.

The next two weeks, me and Fenrir, hunted many animals. From rabbit to deer, with even a small bear mixed in between. I then cured the meat of the animals using salt that I found inside the remains of our storehouse and felt like I could tackle on the journey in regards of food. I would still need to gather some while traveling, but if there were days I could find none, I had something as backup.

I used the skin and bones of the animals for multiple things. First I crafted a makeshift backpack for me, and then some saddlebags for Fenrir. I used the bearskin for my Bedroll, paired together with the cloth of my old bed, it was very comfortable and would keep me warm throughout the journey.

The rest of the time I drained my Mana reserves every day, in order to train my capacity. It was a very exhausting form of exercise, but it proofed to be very efficient. At first I was able to spent my Mana in a constant for about 15 minutes, but shortly before my journey started, I was able to do it for around 30 to 40 minutes.

When the month was over, I packed all my stuff, with my ring around my finger, the coin and the Grimoire in my backpack, the shirt on my body and finally the bow around my shoulder. The sword and it's scabbard was around my waist. I wore my black combat clothes and the black boots.

I bound the bedroll atop my backpack and in it I stored spare clothes, some meat and a few Golden Tears plus bandages, just in case I got wounded again.

The rest of the meat, 2 leather made drinking bottles, filled with water, and some leather I could use for a tent were stored in the saddlebags atop of Fenrir's back.

I was ready to start my journey to the Kingdom of Sarien, it would take me around 8 months. Most of this time I would make my way through Yggdrasil, with the last kilometers of traveling being along the road that connects Sarien with the Empire of Grimveil.

The river I followed merges with the 'Veil of Sakarien' after leaving the forest. I never knew why the river flowing through the whole of Yggdrasil had no name, so I decided to name it the 'Suebi', after my family name.

*Maybe this name will stick if I tell it to enough people?...or maybe not, seeing as a demon has named it...*

I chuckled a little bit while thinking about it.

I would walk around 10 Kilometers per Day, and 5 Days a Week. Then I would take a full rest for 2 days and continue the next week. If nothing happens, I will make it in the planned 8 months, but I would never take unnecessary risks and would avoid dangerous encounters. I had a map with the rough outlines of the continent and even a scale, so I would know how far I will travel.

*I hope this map is correct, but seeing as I will be following the Suebi, I cant really get lost along the way.*

And with that i began my long journey to the Kingdom of Sarien...