Chapter 17 - Slipping Away

"So tell me more about Memento Mori?" Gabrielle asked pouring them a drink, to pass the time the trio decided to just hunker down and wait for the Nuclear Storm to pass, within the sterile walls of her makeshift home the walls rattled from the strong winds and the lights in some areas would flicker now and then.

It reminded Alon of the occasional sandstorms that would make their way into his home back in Thaumasia where they would hide in the basement, light a candle and enjoy the quiet company.

"Depends, what has your government told you about us?" Dain smiled which prompted a scoff from Gabrielle. "Not pleasant things, words like Anarchist and Terrorists are best associated with you bunch." She chuckled as she took a sip of her homemade beer that she offered but all three of them settled for Juice to avoid getting drunk despite being provided with experimental anti-hangover medicine. Though Rachel herself admitted that the medicine would work mass produced and not homemade.

"You think we can get her to join us?" Alon whispered to Tsuna as he took a drink, a part of him wanted to taste the beer as well.

"No idea but we should let Fenrir do his work," Tsuna answered but it was clear that Tsuna was interested in her joining as well. The two continued to discuss and debate in almost the same manner as Alon's first conversion with Hayato as well. Which made Alon realize something and then scooted over to Tsuna.

"I never got around to asking you this but why do you fight?" Alon asked him, for a moment Tsuna was silent which made Alon regret asking as he might have struck a nerve with him, he was about to change the subject but Tsuna spoke up.

"I was living in a mining colony as a serf, unlike the comforts of your home the living conditions of that colony was almost the same as this place but with better facilities," Tsuna said as he chuckled in that fond memory. "But we rebelled and tried to escape."

"Then it worked right? Considering you're here with us?"

"As much as I love to say yes but that's where it gets worse," Tsuna said, there was a tired look on his face indicating that what happened after that was only worse. "You don't have to bring it up if you're not comfortable talking about it," Alon replied guiltily, he knew that he had touched a landmine so he needed to defuse it or else he'll ruin his relationship.

"Thank you and I'm sorry for what I said a while ago."

"No, I needed a wake-up call anyway." Alon shook his head with a smile. "If you hadn't told me anything I'd probably done something worse."

Alon continued to explain to him the sudden mantra he had developed since the Siege of Venus his 'I have to keep fighting, for the safety of my family.' mindset which led him into his reckless and dangerous choices such as the limiter removal and gunning down the trio in the ship just now.

"I can't blame you, the last few days had been stressful for all of us," Tsuna said looking at his drink and then placing it on the table. "Extreme conditions tend to bring out the worse of us. If it got you to commit those things then it can break even the noblest of minds."

I guess something extreme happened to him in the past too. Alon thought as he emptied his drink. "Can you promise me something?"

"What is it?" Tsuna raised a curios brow and smiled.

"If I ever begin to slip away like that again, don't hesitate to kill me."

The next day all of them prepared and thanks to Dain's clever choice of words, managed to convince Gabrielle into joining them on their mission. Thus she is given a temporary call-sign of Huntress on account of her choice of weapon, an Ion Bow which stuns all of her enemies be they Ancient or Human.