Chapter 45

Huge content warning. Could be triggering depictions of violence. If you need to skip, skip from where it says "she wasted no time..." and wearily make it to the end
_________________________________

The factory was ten miles out of the city and it was about an hour long drive to get there.

To make matters so amazingly better, the universe decided to make it the night of the first snow fall. So the roads were getting icy and the landscape around was getting coated in white powder.

It was beautiful. Haunting. Charming. On another occasion, I would love to come out to the middle of nowhere like this with Hoseok and just enjoy miles and miles of snow without others to step on it and ruin its pristine look.

My heart was oddly at ease for the first time in a while. Ever since the mission 'ended,' I was more on edge, more emotional, more irrational, more scatter-brained. My heart had learned how to open up and suddenly the floodgates of my whole life were being outpoured by liters and liters of emotional baggage. But today, as I drove to a place famous for traumatizing me, without any backup nearby, without a proper plan, without knowing the dangers ahead, I felt calm. I felt at peace. It was just like how it was after Sae passed. Me, the mission ahead, and my wits ready to snap into action at every twist and turn. It was an alleviating feeling after weeks of paranoia and guilt attacking my heart and soul.

Regardless of the outcome, I knew that this would all be over. I was certain of it. It was just...a gut feeling.

The factory came into view, causing me to ease up on the accelerator and approach slowly. Just in case they decided to be cowards and stage a frontal ambush.

I turned off the headlights and crept the car as close as possible, trying to keep its noises to a minimum.

I parked my car right next to the vaguely familiar car that I had seen my boss drive around in before.

I jumped out of the car, grabbing my phone to take a picture of the license plate for evidence before grabbing my gun and one of my special devices.

If you were to ask me about my favorite part of being a secret agent...it would be the wacky gadgets we got.

This one was my favorite, though all the other agents would call it a dud device.

I very slowly got to the ground, taking one of the heat signature stickers and putting it on the bottom of her car as well as the bottom of mine.

Once that was secure, I gripped my gun tightly and made my way towards the front entrance. I stood with my back against one of the doors while I used one hand to open the door. In one swift movement, I slipped into the factory, quickly checking around with my gun drawn for our suspects.

Entrance foyer, clear.

I carefully stepped into the main area of the factory, each step calculated and cautious. It was pitch black inside, so I turned on the little light on top of my gun to serve as a mini-flashlight.

My head was on a swivel every couple of seconds to make sure I could keep myself covered from any stray shots. For every nook and cranny there was, I checked double the amount of times.

The silence was dominating and overwhelming, so much that the sound of a pin dropping would make the soundless euphony turn into a chaotic cacophony.

My steps were so deliberate that it was almost like I was floating on air. It was like I wasn't breathing or my heart wasn't beating by how silent I was being.

The room was eerily still that the smallest movement or noise would probably prompt me to shoot.

With only a small circle to light up the room, I took it slow, one step at a time.