(2) A Man & His Dog

Start from the beginning

"Law, is that you? I didn't know you left the house" When he came around the corner, I hesitated in saying anything although he had the right to know. "It's happening again" Maybe I wasn't that great at expressing myself since he only gave me a look. "What happened? You look terrible and your eyes are glowing. Who provoked you this time?" He hadn't even been there but somehow it was all his fault that my mood was this bad. Only he had that effect on my emotions. "That bastard!"

"I don't understand" Did I really have to spell it out for him? "A girl and her family have moved into the Pink Palace. He's going to kill her and there's nothing I can do about it! It's just like what happened all those years ago! I-I... What would she say if she was still alive? I'm a coward!" I blamed myself for what had happened and even now I couldn't forget what I didn't do to protect her. If I had noticed earlier then maybe she would have lived but no that man stole her entire life. He was going to pay for what he did. "Do you want to help her?"

Of course, I wanted to do something about him although did this girl mean anything to me? Probably not but there was that weird feeling present around her. "I don't know" He could have just left it alone however this was his specialty. Asking questions that got people to tell the truth or just annoy them. "Was there something about her that was different? You didn't care when he ended the lives of the others in the house" No, I didn't care when those people lost their lives although he had been hungry and those adults were available.

His question was still in the air and for some reason, I decided it was better to just give him an answer. "She behaved like nothing bad was ever going to happen to her. She was being careless, trusting... Just like how she was"

"So, she reminds you of her?" In a way, she did although this wasn't the same person. The person I knew had been dead for years and there was no bringing her back. "Yes" He was giving me a look although soon looked away so as to not make me mad. "Do what is necessary. I will stand beside you no matter what" He had no choice in that manner I didn't see why he always made it sound as if there were one, he could freely make. "I don't need you Smoker-ya. You're my servant nothing more nothing les- Where do you think you're going?"

"You said you were worried about the girl. I'm going to take a closer look at the house"

~~~~~~~~~~~

Elizabeth's Pov

My unpacking was nearly completed however I stopped when I saw something sticking out from underneath the bed. I could have left it alone until later but decided to wander over. At first, I thought I had dropped some of my stuff. However, I doubted that was the case as I would have noticed since I wasn't that stupid. "What do we have here?" When it was within my grasp, I pulled it free but as I looked it over, I was rather confused. From a quick look, I could tell it was a doll although it wasn't mine. I owned stuffed animals, not dolls and even if I had they wouldn't have looked like me.

"This is creepy" As I held it up the similarities became clear as day although I was concerned with how it came to be. If it wasn't mine then who had a doll that looked exactly like me? "Mother!? Where did this creepy doll come from!?" I wasn't expecting much of a reply from her however I guess luck was on my side today. "What doll!?" She was still in the kitchen so I wandered down to show her just what I was talking about. "This doll. I found it under my bed" She had started to give it a look over but quickly handed it back.

"Are you sure it's not yours, Elizabeth?" This lady should have known it wasn't mine. I'm sure she went through my stuff at least once a week just to be noisy. Even if she didn't care much about me, I think she used whatever she found and wrote about it in her books. "I don't owe dolls, Mother" I'm surprised she was staying this calm but didn't speak as she came up with another theory. "Maybe it was a gift from the landlord?" Never have a meant this landlord so that theory could be thrown out the window. "How would they know what I look like? Did you give them a picture of me, Mother?"

"No, I'm sure you're just overthinking it, Elizabeth. If you don't want it donate it or throw it in the trash" Even if had been just some random doll I might have done exactly that although this was different. "That's a terrible idea. No one is allowed to have a doll that looks exactly like me"

"Then keep it" Well, there didn't seem to be any other solution to the problem. "I will!" She had already gone back to her book so I took off back to my room with the creepy doll in tow. When I stepped through the door, I threw the doll onto the bed before I started to stare at it. "I'll deal with you in a minute. My mother will kill me if these boxes aren't put away" I was probably crazy for talking to a doll but as long as it didn't talk back, we'd be okay. There was only one box left so it didn't take me more than ten minutes before I was sitting on my bed with the doll within my grip.

"Hello, little me. I suppose you have joined my little family. You'll fit in just fine with everyone else" Of course, I was talking about the rest of my stuffed animals and while I didn't care for dolls this one was here to stay. I had brought the doll to my chest although paused when I felt a different material. It wasn't fabric or plastic. My fingers felt around although as I opened the tiny raincoat, I noticed a key was hidden in the inner pocket.

Pulling it out I took in the unique patterns and realized it didn't appear to be a regular house key. The end where you held was shaped similar to the doll's eyes and the middle almost looked to be a feather. It could have just been an accessory that came with the doll but I decided to keep it nonetheless. However, as I continued to stare at the key one question still remained.

"What do you unlock?"

~~~~~~~~~~~

To Be Continued...