22

Once we both wake up the air feels tense and I don't know why. Is it because it's our first fight as a team? Is it because it's our first time fighting against new people? Or is it because of the incident last night?

Not even I can tell and it's about me. That's for sure.

"You ready?" I ask. It's just after 12:30 and we're getting ready to leave our hotel.

"Think so." Grayson replies. Our questions have been short all morning, though the answers are even shorter. As we make our way through the halls I breathe a bit too quickly. I'm anxious about this game. It could determine in which groups we get put at the end of the week. Good or bad. Best or better.

The French walk past us, in the halls, walking off to their fighting hall, where they'll be fighting against the USA.

They whisper in hushed French and I try not to think too much about it, but knowing they were talking about us is making me go manic.

Grayson seems to notice my distress and eyes me from the side. "We'll be fine. We're by far one of the best teams, don't let them get into your head."

I nod and keep my head down, as we get to our station.

"Oh you're both here lovely!" Jack smiles happily. Chad looked much more serious, which definitely fit my mood better. This was serious not kindergarten. But I was used to Jack.

Seeing Jack next to Chad made me realise that our trainers were polar opposites. It was like putting a bat next to a unicorn.

„Why are you so....happy?" Grayson asks.

„He's always in a good mood." I point out and smile at Jack. I can't tell if my smile seems genuine or if he can tell I'm faking it. Either way he ignores it, if it was and gives us a thumbs up.

„The Spanish are ready, they're just waiting for a signal from you two now." Chad tells us. I grab my knife with a deep breath. I watch as Grayson does the same beside me.

"Ok let's win this!" Jack says loudly. Pushing us out of our station and into the playing field.

We seem to have a crowd watching us from our right and left. I watch as the Spanish come out of their station. Two tall men, both black hair and around double my height. Luckily Grayson was tall. Though me? No. It looks like I'll have to manoeuvre my way around them. That'll be my best bet.

The bell sounds and so the fight commences.

*

I watch as Grayson's dragged out of the ring with the other two Spanish fighters. All having been knocked out. I breathe a sigh of relief, as everyone claps and cheers, even though Grayson's in the hospital wing, we've won our first round.

I hear as the commentator speaks loudly. "The winner team is the UK, with Mae Kline still standing!"

I exit back to my station, as the room keeps cheering. I throw my arms around Jack though he pushes me away.

"Ew you're full of blood." he says jokingly.

"Shut up." I smile and hug him tighter.

"Good job." Chad smiles and gives me a high five.

"Let's go fix you up and check on your partner, shall we?" Jack drags Chad and me towards the hospital wing. We walk through multiple halls, entering the section for all injuries.

"Ah Miss Kline, let's get you to your section." the nurse smiled at me, though I was confused, my section?

"What section?" I ask, as she brings me to a room, the sign, which is posted next to the door reads: