(1) Dark Desires

?'s Pov

'La da, da, da, la da'

It had been such a long time since a family had moved into the palace, I started to think there would never be another chance for the cycle to continue. The palace had banned renting to families years before and took away the one thing I craved. Things could have continued for centuries more although now the owner of the building had changed hands, rules had been thrown out and most importantly a young soul was set to take up residence. It had been too long, there wasn't time to waste on mere daydreams.

There was a layer of dust covering my workspace from the years of not using it but that didn't matter a little dirty wouldn't ruin the final product. With my task clear my eyes locked on a nearby window so the work could begin. The window itself appeared ordinary although when it opened nothing but darkness stared back. It was a waiting game and soon enough my prize began to appear. At first, it was only a small dot although it grew bigger until a photograph appeared before me. "Who is the lucky soul this time?"

My eyes took in the features of the person and I couldn't say I was disappointed. She was older than a child although shown the characteristics of someone younger by the way she dressed. A simple raincoat with what I assumed to be matching boots. It wouldn't have been out of the question for an adult to wear such things but her smile held too much joy in it. She hadn't yet seen the cruel world that you entered when become an adult. The innocence hadn't yet been shattered.

"Ah, she is a pretty one" Everything would need to be perfect in order to draw this one in. It had been a long time since a soul had entered this world but there was enough power within me to do what needed to be done. She'd end up like all the others it would only take time. "Such we begin, Elizabeth?" Her name was inscribed into the frame but there were some imperfections. That was perfect as there was something there that make her life incomplete. She'd be the next victim, there was no doubt in my mind.

'La da, da, da, la da'

I placed her photograph within view and began to build my creation. First was the base but as I filled it with sand some spilled out onto the table below. I refused to clean it as I reached for a needle to stitch the opening shut. There had been other dolls such as this one although for each new soul that entered the palace a new one was always made. Each was handled with care and when the time finally came when they left me their memory was placed on a shelf for only I to admire. At the moment only three dolls remained but soon a fourth would join them.

'La da, da, da, la da'

There was only so much you could accomplish with mere yarn although I still reached for a ball of chestnut brown that I thought most resembled hers. Attaching it was easy but when it came to her eyes I slowed. It was always so difficult to select the perfect size. They couldn't be too big or too small they needed to be perfect. This detail couldn't be flawed and before long I finally found the perfect set. "Oh, what a unique set" I may have only kept three dolls although during the years many others had been made. No other had used this set making this little doll special.

My hands were quick to sew them in place and as I finished it was time to move on to the final touches. Her outfit was simple however I would need to make it from scratch even adding the little details of where the fabric was worn or torn. It could have been difficult but I found it to only take a few minutes. The photograph didn't show her feet so I assumed she'd be wearing matching boots as well. Those were made just as quickly and as I held the doll in my hands I smiled.

"Perfect... Just perfect. You are the best creation yet" Not a stitch was out of place and it looked exactly like the photograph in front of me. Well, of course, the girl lacked the button eyes but that detail could always be altered. For what I needed it for it would do perfectly. Her curiosity would be her demise and once she had been drawn into the game there was no changing her fate. "Bring me, Miss. Elizabeth. I will wait as long as it takes" When the little doll nodded her head I turned to the window.