TWENTY-NINE | the beginning of the end

◇◇◇∥◇◇◇

◇◇◇∥◇◇◇

By the time the afternoon sun streaked sunlight into his apartment, a dark bruise had begun to bloom across Jungkook's cheek. Perhaps texting Yoongi hadn't been his greatest idea but then again, he couldn't exactly say that he didn't deserve the punch.

Now, in the same seat that Jimin had occupied yesterday, was Min Yoongi, training a murderous glare in his direction. Much like how Jungkook had done the day before, Taehyung threw towards him an ice-pack, which he was quick to use in order to nurse his injury.

"Really, hyung? Did you have to hit him?" Taehyung sighed, running a hand through his hair in irritation. "I specifically asked you not to react before I told you the whole story." His words did little to garner a response other than a grunt of acknowledgment.

Jungkook took the chance to speak up, "It's alright, Tae—Taehyung. I was expecting it anyway. You can't blame him for being angry. I knew the consequences when I texted him."

"Which," Taehyung shot him a pointed look, "you shouldn't have done in the first place." Their interaction seemed stupendously superficial, an act of sorts in front of Yoongi. "I appreciate it but really, it wasn't your place."

"I know and I'm sorry for that but—"

Unexpectedly, it was the mint-haired older boy who interrupted him, "But he did the right thing for once." There was another fierce glance thrown Jungkook's way before Yoongi continued, turning to face the brunet. "Really, Taehyung. Since I went to Daegu, we've been texting but you didn't think to tell me that you're practically homeless? You were planning on dealing with all of this alone?"

Taehyung stayed silent, avoiding making eye-contact with the older, speaking only to change the subject, "Does Hyuk know? Please tell me he doesn't." In reply, Yoongi gave a firm shake of his head in frustration.

As the cold touch against his skin soothed the soreness of the bruise, Jungkook couldn't help the feeling of being out-of-place. This wasn't a conversation he was supposed to be involved in, what with it seeming to be a personal affair between the pair. Jungkook knew, of course, of the depth they shared in their friendship, despite having arisen in unforeseen circumstances.

Taehyung had revealed the story to him the day after the elevator incident, the day before everything had crumbled to ruin, the day they had skipped school to selfishly savour their moments together. The incident remained distinct in his mind, if only slightly marred by the envy Jungkook had felt towards Yoongi, for whom there had been such absolute fondness in Taehyung's voice.

From his understanding, Yoongi had been a constant in Taehyung's life since his childhood. Originally, they had been neighbours, their families friends. They had always acknowledged each other's existence but Yoongi had been too quiet for Taehyung to be comfortable approaching. Their interactions were many yet riddled with little dialogue.