Chapter 23

TW for this chapter: homophobia

The atmosphere was tense when Winifred brought the food to the table. Ben wasn't sure what was worse, the uncomfortable silence or the suspiciously blank expression on Michael's face. Under the table, Roger reached for his hand. They intertwined their fingers and Ben gently traced circles on the back of his lover's hand with his thumb. As his mother put generous portions of food on everyone's plates, Roger found his voice again.

"So, dad. How have you been?" Ben side eyed the man in anticipation of an answer. When it finally came, it wasn't from him, but his wife. Winifred cleared her throat.
"We have been doing quite well, haven't we dear?" Her stern look forced a response out of him.
"We have been," he said, emphasizing the past tense of his statement.
"Is there a problem?", Roger asked, his tone challenging.

Michael swallowed a bite of his food before answering.
"That depends. Are you going to make it one?"
"Pardon?"
"Roger, I'm not as naive as your mother seems to think I am." Michael gave Winifred a reproachful look. She opened her mouth to defend herself, but he didn't wait to let her speak.
"I know that you two aren't just friends. Your interest in men isn't news to me either. I just hoped you would be sensible enough not to indulge in it."

Roger drew in a deep breath. Unsure of what to do or say, Ben tightened the grip on his hand.
"What is that supposed to mean?", Clare chimed in, ready to defend her brother against any homophobic remarks. Michael ignored her.
"Say, Roger, you're not a full on homosexual, are you?"
"No..."
"So you have a preference for women." Roger, Ben and Clare all exchanged confused glances.
"I'm not saying you're wrong, but how did you come to that conclusion?", Roger wanted to know.
"Well, you're either completely gay or you prefer the opposite sex. That's how it works," Michael explained matter-of-factly. Ben had to resist the urge to face-palm.

"So what I don't understand is, why even date a man? You would be happier with a woman and your life would be so much easier."
"And how would you know what makes me happy?", Roger shot back, his voice no longer calm.
"Watch your tone," his father growled.
"Michael, don't you think-", Winifred tried to interrupt him. He wasn't having any of it.
"This needs to be discussed. I really don't understand why you would do this. At least tell me nobody else knows about it yet?"

"I'll have to dissapoint you there," Roger said flat out. Michael sighed.
"Why would you tell people that? You are bringing shame over our family."
"Excuse me?"
"Have you ever thought about the consequences? How do you expect to be successful as a dentist if you make your sexuality public? I know I wouldn't be comfortable seeking medical aid from a queer man."

"Well it's great you bring that up, because I don't want to be a dentist anyway," Roger snapped.
"That's funny, would you repeat that please? I misheard you and it sounded like you don't want to become a dentist," Micheal said passive aggressively.
"You heard me right. I never wanted to. That was all your idea. And I wanted to make you proud, but I guess that doesn't make a difference anymore."

Now Winifred turned to her son.
"Roger dear, don't throw away your future because of this argument. Everything will settle again."
"If you stop being so selfish, that is," Michael added.
"Selfish? I'm selfish for deciding what I want my job to be and who I want to spend my life with?" Anger welled up inside of Ben and he couldn't keep quiet anymore.

"With all due respect sir, you have no right to talk to him like this." He resisted the urge to add that 'all due respect' was none. Surprised by his comment, Michael stared at Ben. Without thinking twice, he continued.
"You should consider yourself lucky to have such an amazing son. Roger is one of the most talented people I know. He is smart, kind, funny and generous. And you don't see all that just because he doesn't do as you please? Because he knows what he wants? Because he has a heart full of love for people regardless of their gender? You should be ashamed of yourself, not him."

As soon as the words had slipped his mouth, Ben regretted them. Not because he didn't mean every single one of them, but because of the lingering rage in the older man's eyes, burning right through Ben, and worse, Roger. He slowly raised his arm and pointed to the door.
"Out," he said loudly. Ben slowly stood up, anxious about what Roger would think. He wanted to apologize, but couldn't get a word out. Silently, head held low, he walked to the door. He could hear Roger standing up as well.

"Not you," Michael thundered. Ben turned back around to see what was happening. Roger looked at his father, hurt, confused, close to tears.
"You stay right here. If you go with this man now, don't bother ever coming back." Ben held his breath. He had messed up badly. A single tear rolled down Roger's cheek.
"You know what? Fine," he said, his voice shaking.
"I will not come back." Ben, aswell as everyone else, was shocked.

Winifred tried to reason with him.
"Roger, please, we can talk about this." But again, her husband talked over her.
"You are making a grave mistake." Roger sternly shook his head.
"No. You are making a mistake. I will not leave my boyfriend just because you can't accept me." Ben gasped. Did he hear that right? Roger walked towards him and demonstratively took his hand, while looking directly at his father.
"Come on Ben, let's go."

Hey guys! It's drama time. I hope you could still enjoy this chapter despite the heavier topic. Feel free to leave some feedback! Until next week,

Tay