5. 3 Pandora Box

"Geez... You're so cool, senpai!"

I turned around to find someone I hadn't expected to see. A boy with delicate brown hair and a girl with sparkling silver hair stood not far behind her. They appeared to have come here half-heartedly.

"Tsubaki, are you still hanging out with that guy?"

I ignored Amasawa and asked Tsubaki directly, because I couldn't think of her existence as nothing like I did with Amasawa.

"Don't refer me as 'that guy', senpai. My name is Yagami Takuya, I hope you'll remember that from today."

The third person, who was always the quiter one of the three, approached me with his unusual gentle smile. In his slender, skinny hands, he held a wrapped gift box decorated with silver ribbons and snowdrop flowers. On the top of that box, there was a simple note with beautiful handwritting.

"What's this?"

"This is our gift for you."

I didn't look puzzled, not like I wasn't unable to comprehend the meaning of this action for a moment.

"You don't have to give me anything."

I refused to accept their gift and attempted to walk away, but Amasawa was too bold, grabbing my arm and pulling me back.

Just before I was about getting dragged away by Amasawa, I saw Horikita coming to us. She was alone, handing me a bottle of water.

"Sorry, this is from Karuizawa-san. She just handed me this a few seconds ago because she should play volley ball game now."

Good timing.

"Sorry, I should go watching Kei now."

"Huh?! But we just met, senpai. Could you just leave her and join us?"

"That is illogical request."

"Then, at least take our gift. Takuya preapared that by himself for you."

I watched wary smile from Yagami, Horikita, however also took a glace at him and the things on his hands.

But I didn't have time for him, and I wasn't interested to.

"Horikita, take that with you. I really should go now."

"Eh?!"

***

Horikita's POV

"Horikita-senpai."

The person I least wanted to see right now looked at me and smiled. I felt chills all over my body, as if my heart had been directly doused with cold water

"Why are you looking at me like that? Did I startle you?"

With that, he stepped closer to my side. Amasawa and Tsubaki didn't seem to want to be a part of this, and they avoided me and Yagami. 

"It's just that I wasn't expecting to meet you."

"But you noticed me standing here with Ayanokouji-senpai, didn't you?"

That's only half true; I knew he was here. But I didn't expect Ayanokouji to throw me into Yagami. I didn't want to interact with him because he wasn't someone I could fully understand.

"By the way, I heard that Karuizawa-senpai now is playing volley ball at gymnasium, don't you participate at some kind of games too, senpai?"

"I played in 100 meter sprint, tug of war, and long jump."

"Ah, you reach your participation limit, I see."

"Anyway, I thought you wanted to give something to Ayanokouji-kun, right? As he said, you could hand it to me."

"You're right, please take care of this on our behalf."

He had to be referring to the three of them as 'our,' even though I had no idea how and why these people from different classes could form such strong friendships.

It's not like uncommon knowledge now; Yagami was quite popular in his grade because of his gentle personality.

Amasawa wasn't well-liked, but she had memorable encounters with second-year students like me, Ayanokouji-kun, and Sudou-kun in the past.

Tsubaki, on the other hand, was more quiet than the others, but she was always attached to Yagami-kun since her arrival from Sobu, and there's a rumour they're dating. However, neither Yagami nor Tsubaki have confirmed this.

"I'll take this."

As handing it to me. I could see the note on the top of the box. I instanly recognized the note, which seemed to have been written by Yagami, were written in perfect, orderly manner that showed his meticulousness, and the writting was so polished that it was hard to believe it was handwritten.

It could be... But... No, I can't believe it.

Amidts a whirlwind of emotions, I think as I continue to feign looking down at the notes.

"Horikita-senpai?"

"Sorry, I am out of my mind for a while."

I took his gift directly.

"Anyway, I just remembered something I have to do, so excuse me."

"Oh, really? I understand."

I looked away from him and quickly turned as if to run away.

"Well, then, I am sorry but I need you to take care my give to Ayanokouji-senpai. Thanks for your assistance."

"Sure, no problem. And also, see you Yagami-kun."

Just as I was about to leave, I noticed Yagami smirking at me. He smiled at me, as if he was putting me to the test. He was challenging me with the question 'did you notice?' It was almost as if he was trying to provoke me.

"Hmm... It's just as you expected, Takuya. Do you think Ayanokouji-senpai would response to our request?"

"Well, who knows."

***

Author's Note:

Do you guys have a word for me? It seemed this story will end in chapter 6. So let me hear something from you.

17th July 2022.