Interlude: Foreshadowing The Future

I used to be in love with Ayanokouji.

It wasn't a shallow feeling, but rather a very deep one. Even though it's been almost a year since I confessed to him, my feelings haven't changed.

Now was the day he had once promised to see each other. Why would he make such a promise if he didn't think I was special?

"Ichinose."

His deep voice greeted my ears immediately, and he walked calmly with an expression that could always make my heart beat faster.

I could faintly smell the masculine scent that was always around Ayanokouji as his brown hair fluttered in the wind that came in through the window. The room is still exactly as I found it when I first walked in.

Maybe he didn't realize it, but Ayanokouji was quite famous among the girls.

"Hi, Ayanokouji-kun."

Did he notice my voice trembling?

Right now, I'm extremely nervous. My hands are cold, and my feet can't seem to get any closer to him, but the distance between us is shrinking as Ayanokouji approaches.

He gently took my hand in his and led me into his room. Because it is his attitude like this that makes it difficult for me to forget him, and his kindness to me always touches the deepest part of my heart.

"How are you?" He inquired.

While Ayanokouji served tea at the table, I sat on the sofa. He sat down beside me, brewing a cup of black coffee.

I saw him from the side, when was the last time we could talk like this?

I began to distance myself from Ayanokouji after learning that he was dating Karuizawa-san.

We never spoke again for some reason, and even when we passed each other, we were hesitant to greet each other. I'm not sure which of us escaped first, but it could have been me.

"I'm perfectly fine. Ayanokouji-kun, how about you?"

"Me as well."

I was worried that he wouldn't answer my question because of his brief response.

"Hmm..."

I just mumbled because I didn't know what else to say.

It's difficult to stay calm when there are only the two of us in the room. Every breath he took was audible to me, and every movement he made was visible. All the time we'd wasted since keeping our distance seemed to crumble just for this brief moment.

My feelings' stronghold fell once more, and I seemed to fall back on him.

"Are you nervous?"

"Eh?!" I flinched, startled by his unexpected question.

Ayanokouji remains calm as he lowers the glass, his wet lips visible after drinking. My heart was racing furiously.

"It's not just you; I'm nervous as well."

I'm not sure if he's telling the truth. Maybe Ayanokouji was just trying to calm me down.

"You've got to be kidding."

"No, I'm serious. This time, my heart is beating so fast."

"I—if you lied, I'd be really mad!"

"Listen to my pulse."

Ayanokouji moved in closer, gently touching my left hair, then placing his pulse on my ear. I can't hear anything clearly, but my pulse is palpable against the skin of my cheek. My face flushed.

"So don't worry, Ichinose isn't the only one who is worried. I'm nervous as well."

He has an uncanny ability to make my heart race.

"Are you nervous because you're worried that Karuizawa-san will find out about this?"

Of course, I'm not serious; I was forced to ask in that manner in order to save my heart. I'd probably forget myself and return to hope if I didn't carry Karuizawa's name.

"I was apprehensive about meeting you, Ichinose."

Yup, his answer makes my heart hurt.

"Why? You don't like me, and you've already rejected me. But why do you say that as if to reassure me?"

When I said it, I felt like crying.

"Who's to say I didn't like you?"

I raised my face, surprised by his words. When I saw Ayanokouji's face, I couldn't hold back my tears any longer.

"Ichinose, I love you. To be honest, you are a good person with a genuine and admirable heart. I'm delighted to be friends with Ichinose, and I'm even more grateful that you love me. Could we then transform this friendship into a romantic relationship?"

Romantic relationship? Is it possible that I misheard?

"I'm so grateful that we can meet again after a year of promise here. You could say you are my precious one, Ichinose."

Our promise was fulfilled, we could meet again after a year had passed. Ayanokouji and I both persevered.

He was relieved that we were still able to meet. He was relieved to still be able to see me. He confessed his feelings to me. He loved me.

Needless to say, the mere mention of it warms my heart.

"Ichinose, will you be my girlfriend?"

Thank you, Ayanokouji, for all the feelings and wounds you've given me up to this point. I'll remember this feeling for the rest of my life. I'm thankful to have known you as my dear one.

"Yes, I do."

***

"Ichinose? Are you still hearing what I'm saying?"

My awareness was abruptly dragged back into the real world.

Ayanokouji, in front of me, twisted his expression as he pointed out our plans to fight Sobu High School. Perhaps one of my dreams was leaked to him, and he overheard it.

My heart was pounding. My cheeks turned the colour of a tomato.

"I'm sorry, could you please repeat it? I thought I'd forgotten about it."

Ayanokouji sighed, but he didn't decline and started to explain what I had missed.

Even if it's just a dream, there are still things I can fantasise about, as well as things that aren't. I believe this is the craziest dream I've ever had.

How could I have ever dreamed this?

"Could my dream turn into a Masayume, no way, right?"

Either way, let's keep this super embarrassing dream to myself only.

N/b: Masayume is a 'dream that comes true'.

20nd February, 2022.