Chapter 8: A Distinguished Professional In Schoolboy Shorts

The Day I Tried To Live
~ Soundgarden

"One more time around (might make it)
The day I tried to live, yeah

Words you say
Never seem to live up to the ones inside your head
The lives we make
Never seem to ever get us anywhere but dead"

Words you sayNever seem to live up to the ones inside your headThe lives we makeNever seem to ever get us anywhere but dead"

CHAPTER 8: A DISTINGUISHED PROFESSIONAL IN SCHOOLBOY SHORTS

        Nadine laid out in the back of a car with Luther driving and Five in the passenger seat. The bigger man had apologized to her now a few times for the window incident. He told her that he never planned on actually doing it and knew that she wouldn't get hurt.

         Still, Nadine would hold a small grudge through strategically placed reminders of his actions disguised as jokes.

        Five glanced back at her every couple of minutes, rolling his eyes at the sight of her falling asleep back there. When the car came to a stop, Five reached back and shook her to get her attention.

        Five sighed, looking out the window. "You know, I never enjoyed it." He spoke sadly. "What?" Luther questioned. "The killing. I mean, I was... I was good at my work, and I... I took pride in it. But it never gave me pleasure." He sighed again, turning to look out the windshield. "I think it was all those years alone. Solitude can do funny things to the mind."

        "Yeah, well, you were gone for such a long time. I only spent four years on the moon, but that was more than enough. It's the being alone that breaks you." Luther spoke from experience, nodding at his brother.

        Nadine cleared her throat from the back seat. "Well, never being alone is bad too. Imagine being haunted by a spirit who only sticks around to tell you what to do, shoot you snide remarks, and call you a brat." She spoke dramatically, placing the back of her hand against her forehead and closing her eyes. Five gave her a deadpanned expression while Luther raised an eyebrow in confusion.

        "You think they'll buy it?" Luther asked them after a second of staring at her in silence, waiting for an explanation that never came. "Well, what I do know is that they're desperate. It's like a cop losing his gun. If the Commission finds out, they'll be in deep shit. Oh, not to mention the fact that they'll be stuck here until they get it back." Five answered him.

        "Well, I should hold onto it." Luther nodded. The boy hummed in questioning, tilting his head slightly to look at the man. "In case they make a move on you." Nadine closed her eyes again, banging her head lightly on the cars seat. "Okay, Luther, but be careful. I mean, I've lived a long life, but you're still a young man. You got your whole life ahead of you. Don't waste it." Five smiled and leaned forward, looking back out the windshield.