Chapter 1: To See A Boy About An Apocalypse

Something Good
~ alt-J

"Get high, hit the floor before you go
Matador, estocado, you're my blood sport"

"Get high, hit the floor before you goMatador, estocado, you're my blood sport"

CHAPTER 1: TO SEE A BOY ABOUT AN APOCALYPSE

         Nadine Etoile wasn't a normal 16 year old kid. Something was wrong with her. Multiple things, actually.

         First, she loved vegetables. Sometimes steamed, most of the time raw with ranch. Broccoli was her favorite but she hated how it got stuck in her teeth constantly.

        Second, she couldn't remember her immediate family. Only glimpses at a time. She had no idea why and honestly, she wasn't looking for answers. If she started digging now, she would never stop. She had what she called an obsessive personality. Addictive.

        Third, she was haunted by the spirit of a witch. A particularly mean and sarcastic teenage one, at that. Her whole life was spent trying to figure out what was wrong with her, why she couldn't recall days at a time or remember where things are around her family house, only to find out that she had the shadow of a 300 something year old hanging at the back of her mind.

        Sometimes she wondered if she ever had a life that didn't consist of her.

        Nadine liked to call this girl her guardian angel. Even though she acted like she hated her, she protected her and cared for her. She loved her. She was her. Her name was Branwen.

        At first it was an infestation. She rejected the 17 year old spirit completely, as did the girl with her host. This only ended up with a bunch of scrapes and bruises appearing and a sickness nobody could figure out the cause of.

        After a while, Branwen grew to care for Nadine. She saw her innocence and it reminded her of when she was alive. How full of light and life she had been. How devastated and scared she was when that was all stripped away from her. When she was accused of things she didn't do and hung like an animal, left there for days. She had never let her host see these memories. She wasn't ready for them.

        The teen girl sat in her poorly lit studio apartment that Branwen was able to help her rent with her legs tucked under her and her arms faced outwards on her thighs. "Nadine, I need you to find someone. I have already connected the glow to you, so do it. Fast." The girl nodded, her eyes closed as she looked around at the back of her eyelids. Branwen sat across from her with her legs crossed, her arms also facing outwards.

        Nadine's breathing was shallow and her pulse low. If she was at a hospital, the doctors would have called her time of death 15 minutes ago. "I'm not catching anything I haven't seen already, Wren. Can you give me a hint?" The spirit groaned slightly, rolling her eyes.