Chapter 4: Fear of the Unknown

Thunderstruck
~ AC/DC

"I looked 'round
And I knew there was no turning back
My mind raced
And I thought, what could I do?
And I knew
There was no help, no help from you
Sound of the drums
Beating in my heart
The thunder of guns
Tore me apart
You've been
Thunderstruck"

"I looked 'roundAnd I knew there was no turning backMy mind racedAnd I thought, what could I do?And I knewThere was no help, no help from youSound of the drumsBeating in my heartThe thunder of gunsTore me apartYou've beenThunderstruck"

CHAPTER 4: FEAR OF THE UNKNOWN

        "So when you say that Branwen is with the coven, what do you mean exactly?" Five questioned as they walked down the dimly lit street. Nadine tilted her head back a little and smiled. "I mean exactly that. All the witches from my ancestral line that died are able to stay together and communicate with their descendants. She's back talking to our family."

        Five nodded slightly and put his hands in his pockets. "So does that mean one of your parents are there as well?" Nadine's smile dropped as she cleared her throat and scratched the back of her head. "No, I mean, I don't know. They're not there. I don't really remember my parents. All I know is Wren. She's taken care of me for as long as I can remember."

        The boy glanced over at her a couple times before coming to a stop in front of a department store. "Gimbel Brothers?" She muttered to herself. The rain made it hard for her to see anything else but the glowing sign and she felt gross in the sweater-skirt combo. She pulled the shirt off her skin and cringed as it fell back and attached to her.

        Five took ahold of her upper arm again before blinking them inside, making her trip slightly in surprise. "A little warning next time, please." He grunted in response and started walking. "What're we doing in here anyways?" The boy ignored her and continued walking through the store. She shivered as the cold air hit her wet skin.

        "Five?" She called while running after him. Nadine looked around the dark store, stepping a little closer to him in fear. Wren wasn't here to protect her if anything happened. Her instincts were telling her to turn around.

        Five picked up a flashlight from a shelf and began searching. "Are we looking for something?" Nadine questioned. She wrapped her arms around her for comfort —and warmth— and continued to walk. "Someone." He responded.

        In the short time she had known him, she found a couple things to be true. One of those things is not to question his motives. There's always a reason behind something. She nodded at him and smiled, hiding her fear of the unknown. He grabbed a random brown zip up from a hanger and threw it towards her without saying a word. She grinned, putting it on.

        Five turned a corner and stopped, a smile appearing on his face. Nadine wasn't paying attention and almost ran into him but stopped herself before she hit. Her eyebrows came together as she realized he didn't notice the movement. Something was seriously distracting to him. His expression was warm and bright.