[ 24. ]

II xxiv. a new beginning... II

ALABASTER was dreading his destination with each step he took across the Campus of his old camp. An uneasy, anxious, nagging feeling tugged at his stomach-almost as if it were telling him: 'Run for your life! Danger! Danger!'

He passed through familiar sights, the Big House, The armory, and the Pegasus stables. Nostalgia washed over her. After being away for so long, it felt like he was revisiting an old memory. It didn't sit well with him. Especially considering the awful way he parted.

As Alabaster neared the strawberry fields of the camp, he could make out two figures standing amidst the ruby red fruits: Andromeda and Lou Ellen. Lou was staring at him dead on, and the uneasy feeling only grew within him. He missed her so much, but it was obvious she had other priorities to get by before returning the sibling love.

He walked into the fields, careful not to squash the strawberries. Seriously, Lou Ellen could have picked any other spot to do this.

When he reached them, she crossed her arms, eyes narrowed in a disapproving manner. "Hello, Alabaster." Her authoritative tone made it clear she was looking for any jokes today.

His adam's apple bobbed. "Lou."

Andromeda's hand moved up to wave, but Lou's glare made her quickly retract it. "Let's start with the most obvious question-why the hell are you here?"

"Well, I.." His voice faltered, and eyes dropped to the ground for a moment. He took a deep breath. "I just want to say I'm sorry Lou." Lou didn't budge. "I'm sorry that I left you and Andromeda alone, I'm sorry I hurt you-" He looked towards his younger sister. "I'm sorry I hurt Andromeda."

A short silence followed, and Andromeda looked down at her feet. Lou raised her head. "...Well, I'm sorry too, Alabaster." He looked back at her. "I'm sorry that you think a fucking apology is going to cut it at all." She let out a forced laugh when his expression only worsened. "And I just can't seem to understand why you would think that saying sorry will ever take back what you put us through."

"Lou-"

"We're your family for gods sake, Al!" At the sudden outburst, Alabaster flinched. Lou's voice had cracked at the nickname. His own eyes had started to turn glossy. "You know, siblings are supposed to have each other's backs...and you did the complete opposite."

"Lou." Andromeda grasped her sister's hand, making the older sibling look at her. "Please, just listen to him." Lou hesitated. "Please."

Now, himself and Lou were on the verge of tears. Lou breathed out, nodding her head, and looking back to Alabaster. "Fine,"

"Lou," He started. "I know...I know what I did to you is inexcusable. I just want you to know why I did it. You don't have to forgive me anytime soon, I would understand." He took a breath. "I just need you to know the truth.

"A month before the battle against Kronos, before everything...Hecate came to me with a request. She had confessed to me that she had joined Kronos' side. She wanted me to join his side because I was the 'champion they needed'." He looked away. "She said Kronos had offers she couldn't resist.

"Gods, I remembered being so angry at her." Alabaster's eyebrows furrowed. "At what she'd done. We got into a fight, and she didn't show up until a couple days after Andie had gone into the maze. This time she wanted to make a deal. She said if I joined as well, she would make sure you both would live through a battle to come in the future. None of us had any idea of where Andie was in that maze or if she was safe..."