Chapter No.13: Surreal Nightmares

"I knew that rejecting Ink would sting, but I had to be honest with them. After I began working here at the hospital, I was frequently visited by Aries Lotus. She was a newly departed and a beautiful one be it that, her hair was fire on the breeze, eyes ashy as charcoal. After Matrix left me and I was rejected by Ink, I felt lost.
Luckily I was soon distracted by the job of Hospital Keeper, hours on end kept me busy. It was long and hard for sure, and Plot made due to making my life a mess for awhile, Paper did too. It was soon though, I had the high-authority to fire them, replacing them with Shine and Cil were easy decisions.
But it was only a matter of time before they both grew toxic, I kept growing to the belief that the only thing that could come out of this hospital was sheer agony. I fired all my staff, I completely worked on my own for the rest of the time Ink was with Crypt and Adelic, I couldn't bear the thought of them being forced to over listen to my struggles, especially after their captivity with Tion.
It was then that a flock of investigators flew over to the hospital, explaining they had been tracking down Ink. That they wanted to, no, that they needed to take them. Of course I was terrified for them, but I knew they would pin me down and do whatever torture mechanism they see fit. It's pointless not to give in to Investigators, so all I could do is tell them the location and send them on their way.
I trusted they would be safe, Crypt and Adelic took care of Sparix, Stanza, and Apostrophe after all. I mean ⅔ of the people I sent to them are fully safe when I gave the address to Ink. It's not like sending a fake address would prevent them from finding them anyway. It was actually terrifying, checking Ink's status, reading the death disclaimer.
Such disclaimers I swore I would never let myself again, I thought they were gone again, again as in like everyone else I met. Death followed in each foot step I set into the mud, I met people at their first scene to the afterlife, just to be met with the fate of their death once again. It's been happening for decades, I am only growing more fearful by the day.
It was some time during Ink's kidnapping that I heard the news. "Your Fiance is dead Book Let, he died in a freak accident." The book I let Ink Bringe keep open, there was an entity haunting it, one ferocious and vicious, it killed Matrix Code in cold blood. The entity was widely known as Val Lector. He was one of the factors that could only convince me furthermore, that I was cursed. That I, am a curse.
Then after I felt lost, I started getting a visitor everyday, she looked like a dream as well. Aries Lotus, she was from a high-status family. I was oh so skeptical of her, I heard whispers of doubt grow louder and louder while around her. I took it out on her, asking her question after question. Luckily for me, she was a patient and understanding person, the kindest noble I met anyway, they're usually always rich snobs.
When I finally got my negative energies out, me and Aries went to a small cafe for a date, we talked about everything. From the beginning of our afterlifes, to the present tense of them. Everything we knew, exchanged between the two of us, it was so warm. She was so warm, she called me cute! Cute! And she looked like the blazing Sun!
I could feel the connection between us already, already it was strong. It only felt as if it would grow stronger. Though managing the hospital made me so tired, a relationship slowed down the recovery of any energy. It's worth noting that while I was working on this hospital alone, every worker hired became worse as time passed, so no one could aid me.
Aries started begging to help me around here, I was scared she would grow toxic as well if I agreed. So I refused her offer, every single time. It upset her, but she was understanding, so she could only stay quiet with such denial. Well, that was what I thought anyway. She went to old associates of the hospital, pulled a few strings, and became the co-owner of Pulse-Health.
It would be a lie to say I wasn't mad at first, truly I was furious. It would be a fool's game to try and bring workers to such a horrific place. Alas, I was wrong about that as well, she found the perfect workers. Thanks to her, the hospital has a full fledged staff, multiple managers, and expert growth. She was amazing, more than amazing, she should be working her family's business, not mine. She knows this only started out of death, yet she still understands, she still is working herself to the bone for me, and I don't deserve it.
It was when I saw a downfall in my focus I thought Aries would leave me, news flash, she didn't. She worked my part so I could focus on myself, I saw the disclaimer. I called Ink immediately, and they picked up. It was such a huge relief, but then they confessed their feelings, I wouldn't and say I still loved them.
I had a fire in my heart and it was burning for Aries, not Ink. I could lie and say it was all to distract myself from Ink, but it wasn't, it truly wasn't. I thought it could have been, but I followed my intuition, and my intuition isn't what ends up hurting me in the end. So even with the concerns I am being chased with, I believe the path that I am following is the correct one."
I closed the diary I was writing in, I figured writing in one would grant me inspiration for my art. Well actually, it was Aries's idea, not mine, can't steal credit from my girlfriend! That would be a huge red flag in our relationship. I'm so tired of toxic relationships too, I want to avoid them at all costs, and stay clean from everything. It's a lot to ask for when I think about it, but I can't think of anything I want more.
Aries calls me down for lunch, I forget to mention how well she was with food as well, Melchior, I got lucky with her. I make my way downstairs, my feet hitting the soft carpet, walking forward and entering the kitchen. Everything about this new afterlife felt so normal. A concept I long to have more of. I nightmare of a life, a nightmare of an afterlife, it seemed that's all my eternity would ever stay as.
That thought was a gamble, a mindset can chase someone into forgetting they have any other choice, any other option. It was a gamble that I lost, yet it didn't go to my downfall, it went to my uprising. Just to knock me out of my train of thought, I remember that Aries is waiting for me, all while I'm zoning out in front of the kitchen. I shake my head, I should actually sit down and talk to my girlfriend like a decent lover.
Theseus Claudius was joining us again, not again.. She always makes us beta-read her fanfiction. Why can't she go to the other, cursed media fans to go do such things with? Aries needs to raise some standards at this household.. Poor girl is too nice for her own good, I swear to fuck. "HEY BOOK BBG!!!!! YOUR GIRLFRIEND MADE US LUNCH!" Not again, they called my Book bbg again... seriously who let this menace reign havoc, I need a serious talk with Esther Angelline about this nutcase.
I could tell Aries was silently judging me because she started to say, "Book, you know as I come from a long line of sirens, I can read minds. Stop bullying Theseus!" Aries complained, red scales glittered on her cheeks. "Yeah! Wait what I- okay.." Theseus stood there awkwardly, they actually acted a lot like Ink. Maybe all my pent up worry is making me act this way towards her.. "Sorry Theseus, you're just so overwhelmingly silly for someone who looks so mature."
Theseus nodded, "It's fine, really! I overthink a lot when acting seriously. I try to avoid that, no one wants to overthink." She chuckled, before taking a long sigh. Her blonde hair fluffed behind her tan skin. "I get that, it's just I guess it gets weird with people. I don't know how to explain it. I really don't know how to explain anything." Really I was scared of hurting their feelings, if they really are like Ink, I know they really couldn't handle criticism.
We take our sighs, finishing Lunch and already preparing for the rest of the work day ahead of us. As much as things have gotten better, our work days stay long and tiring. I don't know how I ever stayed stable on my own. I really owe it all to Aries, I owe her so much. I'm on another break as of late, I should perhaps write her a letter, or draw her some pictures? Later, I got a call from Theseus, even though we were just talking.I open the options from my sun-marked profile, directly on my left shoulder, the glow shines through the air and the call is set in motion, a panicked voice calls out to me.
"Book Let! Sir! It's a patient, they're in deep trouble! Their blood levels are collapsing and a heavy amount of tissue is seeping exposed!" The tone of her voice is completely unnerved, it takes a long to put Miss Claudius in this state, it's new, really new. And not in a good way. The only thing my mind can conjure up is a response, "Try and take them under-anesthesia! Then try to change their chemical balances."
But Theseus wouldn't respond, instead a loud yell escaped the perimeter, so loud that all I could hear was the shattering of glass. Next, the sound stopped, the call hung up. Theseus hates having to hang up. She didn't end that call, she's joining her patient in that bed. Theseus's panic was now flowing towards me, engulfing each thought that sent through my breath.
"My feet started racing down the stairs, my shoes clicking and clacking against the tiles, faint reaching out to me from the panic. This hospital couldn't feel more haunted or cursed at this moment, and everyone inside was in danger. I usually adore the thrill, but I hate it this turn, I hate it more than anything because I have a chance of setting everyone I know in danger. When I was working for Tion I wouldn't notice such fear or torment wrenching beneath the insulation.
I could smell dried blood and rotten remnants even now, the scent is stained and no amount of perfume could mask it. Oh how I wish I could mask it, the entirety was driving me insane, and I am the only one left from the horrific events of Tion Pulse. I helped her hurt people, I gave her the weapons and supplies. It was because of me that Tion grew to the authority that she could kill these people without any remorse or worry.
People would go along, saying how it wasn't my fault that I assisted her, that I was too scared to even think about defiance. But I gave her every tool in the shed, I went out of my way to make sure Tion could kill these victims, people acted as if she manipulated me into this, but she didn't! She really didn't, as I knew this was wrong the entire time.
If it weren't for Ink Q. Bringe, I would've made sure to get new victims after they left. It isn't like I didn't approve of what I had put them through, it was purely illurance that made me stop such a thing. I am the worst of it, while I call it all a thing, an incident, I won't mutter a singular apology. It hurts, and I feel heavy twinges of guilt, especially at the recalls of this. But no matter how hard I try, I cannot regret this.
Honestly I should be called a monster! Only a monster wouldn't regret torturing others, yet while I do feel as if it were disgusting. I wouldn't stop myself from hurting all those innocent people, maybe the guilt of having no remorse is my punishment? Except that I believe letting this happen to me is absolutely not a bad thing.
People despise Tion Pulse for all they did, yet they know I assisted her and they're calling me brave with each passing day. Like a hero! I am no better than her, no matter what these ridiculous cretins say, I could only ever be as bad as her. If not that, I am worse, I stood back and watched so many people beg for mercy, for help. What did I do in those scenarios? Well, I would step back and laugh at their misery. A cruel, sadistic, laugh."
My thoughts went on and on as I was racing through each room to find Theseus and this patient. Just as the call ended, the power was cut. I was looking around in the dark amidst the panic of the hospital staff, for Theseus and an individual I hadn't a clue of their appearance. This would be so much easier if I just could know the appearance of who I was looking for. But the stupid power cut us off!
Why do I even look? I'm causing more chaos, I wasn't even working today before this. How pathetic am I?Clearly more pathetic than even I thought, who knows if everyone is fine, there was just a glitch, and I'm making a horrid scene. Because my only use is being dramatic, the only thing I'm known for is drama! Only thing people are even nice to me for is the same reason!
But my self-deprecating behavior had to stop, because I found the patient. Blood everywhere, tissue spilling out, crimson piles of vomit hanging down their mouth. Emerald bones spiking out in all directions, their wings cut and partly decayed, horns cracked and bruised. Scars from all over, and the worst of it wasn't even my first sight. A long and jagged scar started at the top of their neck and went all the way down to their stomach, organs shown in the cut. My tears and nausea didn't even hit until I realized who it was in the drenched bed, Ink Bringe.