Chapter No.1: Ghostly Body

I wake up, or at least I believe I have? A purple haired male looks down at me with bright yellow eyes. "Oi! Where'd you find me? This is my reading spot." and they have horns? "I have no idea alright? Last thing I remember is falling down several stories." and that banged up my head as well. "Huh, well my name is Book-Let and you're no longer in the world you call Earth." What do they mean by that? "This is the land of the Demonics, this is Dread." There is absolutely no way that I have any sanity left.

"Book-Let huh? I don't even remember my own name now that I think about it. What brought you to this place?" They look away with a frown, touchy subject I suppose. Good going on my part. I sigh, "I apologize, can I ask why you're so secretive?" I finally sat up, just noticing that I was on their lap. "You're fine, I died to suicide as well was I drug addict, no big deal compared to a lot of people here. You don't want to be around one place for too long, let me show you around this freak show." Now I really regret asking. Book-Let extends a hand to me after getting up, I accept.

This is when it hits me, no fire, no pits, but a lot of a mess is presented as this place. "Not the stereotype, yeah it surprised me too when I got here." With so much experience, I wonder how long Book-Let has been here for. "Oh I totally forgot to ask! What are your pronouns?" The yellow eyed demon chuckles, "He/him for now and I'm a masculine non-binary despite the pig tails. I'll ask you once your memories are back online!" Back? I wasn't sure that they could even come back, I thought this was permanent? "Cool, where are we going?" I hope I can trust them.

"I'm taking you to my place, although Investigators could be on the lookout." Investigator? I wonder what he means by it. "What are Investigators?" It seems like a dumb question, I hope it isn't. "There's two main species, and a few gray areas. The two being Demonics and Angelics, there used to be a god for both of the two but the Demonic one was slain, so the Angelics took it upon themselves to make sure they reign supreme. To do this, once a year Investigators or as we know, Fallen Angels fly down, each can only investigate one, and this handful that are chosen are taken to a medium point in the afterlife that only Fallen Angels and the Selected can go to. The Angelics choose one of those Demonics as a sacrifice to control the rest of us by fear."

"Are there any types that can't be investigated?" I feel nerves trace down my spine. The timing of my death must be great! "That brings me to another point, this only happens once a year, they are chosen in winter. Investigators can only work late summer-late winter and choose Demonics, the gray area is safe. Gray areas are legends such as sirens, selkies, ghosts, and/or deal makers." We continued walking in a bit of silence, Book-Let seemed ready to explain the culture of this place. "The thing is, urban legends were to be there because of us, so if someone ever was revived from an instance of such, the legend would be stronger which strengthens the species."

Book-Let stops in their tracks, appearing to be quivering? Is something the matter? "Boo-" Book-Let smacks his hand over my mouth, it is definitely in trouble. "Voice low, there's a whole flock of Investigators in front of the forest, we're going to have to fly." Fly? Neither of us have wings? Or so I thought, Book-Let takes a step back before flashing a gust of wind with the smell of a bookstore. The next thing I process is being prompted up into the sky with the help of a set of paper like wings. "We best not make a scene now." Excuse me? It just flashed on a pair of wings like it was the latest new heels!

"Breathe now, I know you're not but a fainted Demonic is a lot heavier than an awake one depending on its type." Guess I should have told him I'm scared of heights! The cold colored forest is rather pretty, with all the blues, greens, and purples. I don't see any scary investigators either. "Prepare yourself! I'm about to take landing!" He braces itself before swan diving right through the air. A breeze so cold yet so fast, like a blade. He resets himself and sets us both down, one hell of an adrenaline rush.