PROLOGUE

September 9, 2006

I'm stuck in the hospital with a sprained ankle overnight. Mama said that's what I get for playing like a boy. She keeps telling me to act proper that I am lady but it's boring!

Mama went home to pack me an overnight bag and I am laying on this lumpy bed alone when I notice a boy at the entrance of the hospital room looking at the bed beside mine.

There's a woman on the bed with tube like things sticking into her. His eyes are red and looks like he's been crying, he catches me looking at him and walks out of the room.

I try to get down from my bed and follow him.
"Ow!" my right leg hurts as I step on it.
I should probably not be walking but I want to go after him. I limp my way out of the room.

I see him standing close to the vending machine. I go up to him and give him a fierce hug from behind. He stiffens and tries to turn but I strengthen my grip and not let go.

He forcefully removes my arms and turns to look down at me.

"What are you doing?" He says

Wow he's got really pretty eyes.

"Can't you talk?" He frowns

"I can talk. I was hugging you"

"Why?" He keeps frowning

"Because you're crying and mama always says hugs and kisses makes it all better"

"I wasn't crying. Men don't cry" he says

"Oh. Do you want a kiss?"

"No!" He shouts

"Why not?" I frown. "I want to kiss you so you don't cry anymore"

"I'm not crying"

"Is the woman your mama" I ask

He doesn't say anything. I poke his side "Is she your mama?"

"Yes" he finally responds

"Oh, she'll be alright. Mama says that's what doctors are for, they fix people and make them okay so you can stop crying now"

"Well your mama isn't always right because the doctors said my mother is going to die soon and I'm not crying!"

"So you're not gonna have a mama anymore?"

"Yes"

"My mama can be your mama" I offer

"I don't want your mama" he mumbles

I gasp. "What's that supposed to mean?"

He just shakes his head at me

"I can be your mama" I finally say

He's looking at me funny

"What?" I ask

"You can't be my mama"

"I can too"

"That doesn't make any sense" he covers his face

"I'll take good care of you and I'll give lots of hugs and kisses" I chime

"Fine. You can be my mama" he laughs

"I'm Leilani but from now on you'll call me mama okay?"

"Okay" he agrees