Part 20

“Why didn’t you tell us that you can speak parseltongue?” Ron hissed at Harry as they hurried through the deserted corridors

“Parsel what?” Harry asked

“You can talk to snakes!” Hermione said

“I know” Harry replied casually “I mean, I did it once at a zoo. I accidentally set a snake on my cousin”

Ron and Hermione stared at him and I felt totally lost…again.

“This is bad” Ron muttered “this is very bad”

“But why?” Harry asked as we entered the common room and flopped down in front of the fire

“You know who could talk to snakes and so could Salazar Slytherin, that’s why the symbol of Slytherin house is a serpent”

“Yeah” Hermione frowned “for all we know, you could be related to him”

“I’m not” Harry said defiantly

“But you might be” Ron sighed “he lived years and years ago”

And we all stared into the fire with ‘what ifs’ running through our minds

Severus Snape burst into Dumbledore’s office without even having the courtesy to knock. “Albus” he panted as he swept up to the desk “Potter can speak to snakes!”

Dumbledore, who was scanning through a very formal letter put the letter down and stared at Severus “and how do you know this?”

“It happened at the Duelling Club. Draco set a snake on him and before I could get rid of it Harry stepped forward and spoke to it”

“And what happened?”

“It backed off” Dumbledore closed his eyes and sighed but didn’t answer “what does that mean Albus?”

“It means that my theories are being proved right sooner than I hoped”

“And what does this mean for Harry”

“What ever the outcome Severus” Dumbledore opened his eyes and stared at Snape “it isn’t good”

“Albus” Severus drew up a seat with his wand and sat in it “what should I do?”

“Observe at a safe distance of course, don’t alert the boy anymore than he already is…not with the Chamber of Secrets being open again” he let out a long sigh

“What will happen to the school this time?”

“If the attacks continue then it will have to close” he shook his head “have you asked Draco what he knows?”

“The boy knows nothing useful…as always”

“Keep a close eye on him too Severus, though I am sure that it will take more than a second year to control the beast…what ever it is”

“And you have no idea at all sir?”

“I have a few Severus, just a few but none of them certain. Now go, you have a job to do”

Severus stood up and bowed “thank you headmaster” and retreated from the office.

He made his way through the school just in time to see a student with red hair slip around the corner and out of sight.