Part 16

I ventured to lunch alone and as I was halfway through eating Ginny joined me. She stared at me for a minute and then said “what is going on with you and Harry?”

I frowned at her “what do you mean?”

“Are you and Harry like…” she fiddled with the hem of her robes “an item?”

“Not at the moment…why?”

She shrugged “I like him…”

“And that’s why you hate me?”

“I don’t hate you” she mumbled “It’s just I know that he likes you”

I smiled kindly at her “what are you looking for?”

“How do you mean?”

“Ginny…Harry actually asked me out last year but I turned him down because…well, we were eleven and yeah, ok, I do like him but how much different is twelve to eleven?” My insides squirmed as I said it because right now, I feel so differently about the whole thing and I am just waiting for the question to pop up again

“So you are saying that eleven is too young to date?”

“I guess so” I shrugged “just wait it out and even if we do go out it doesn’t mean that we will be together forever”

“But you like him?”

I blushed “yeah, I like him”

She frowned at me “was that before or after you found out who he was?”

“Do you honestly think that I am that shallow?” I told her “Ginny, Harry is a genuinely nice person and I couldn’t give a damn about who he is.”

“Good” she sighed “I just don’t want him with someone that just wants him for the status symbol” and then she got up and left.

I frowned after her “weird” I muttered as Harry joined me.

We sat in awkward silence for a few minutes before he said “look, I didn’t tell you because I didn’t want to freak you out”

“But you didn’t care about freaking out Hermione and Ron?”

Harry grimaced and then blushed “look” he leant into me and whispered “I don’t care for them as I do for you. Your feelings matter to me”

“But you didn’t consider that I might find out and get annoyed that you didn’t tell me?”

“Well yeah” he said awkwardly “but I hoped that it wouldn’t happen. Listen, I followed that voice and found Mrs Norris…she looked dead. She was strung up by her tail on one of the lanterns and on the wall was written ‘The chamber of secrets has been opened, enemies of the heir beware’ people think it was written in blood but it was actually red paint” he said in an off handed tone…

“Enemies of the heir beware?” I repeated “what is that?”

“Hermione read up on it and it means muggle borns”

“But…Hermione is muggle born”

“Which is why I told her, plus is was going around the school like wildfire”

“Then how come I didn’t hear about it?”

“I kinda made sure you didn’t” he grimaced and took my hand “I’m sorry…am I forgiven?”

I sighed and then smiled at him “yeah…I’m sorry too”

He hugged me and then pulled away and said “we have a party tonight”

“But tonight is the Halloween feast” I frowned

“Yeah, I promised Nick that I would go to his deathday party”

“Deathday?” I grimaced “are you asking me out Harry Potter?”

“Yeah” he grinned “I guess I am”