42 | PLUMED SERPENT PT. 3

✯               ✯               ✯

"Geez, dude!" Isabelle exclaims, holding on tight to her seatbelt as Nick pulls to the side of the road and parks the car. "What are you speeding for? It's nearly dawn. If I were her I'd be heading straight for bed."

"Unless she's planning on doing some even worse sketchy Daemonfeuer shit." Nick counters before jumping out of the car and Isabelle rolls her eyes.

"This girl has done quite the number on you." Isabelle comments racing after her cousin.

"She hasn't done anything. I'm fine." Nick shakes his head.

"Come on, look at you. You're hyperactive, you're fidgety. You haven't acted this way since your first date with Juliette." Isabelle retorts. "Oh, god. You didn't cheat — did you?"

"What? No! I would never do that to Juliette. I just.." Nick trails off. "I just want to find this Fred guy before anyone else gets hurt."

"Well, we're headed in the right direction." Isabelle responds as they stop in front of a house with metal wires wrapped around it. "This is so weird."

"And I have a feeling it's only going to get weirder." Nick sighs as his phone rings.

"Talk to your girlfriend and reassure her that you'll be home soon. I'll see if our dragon girl is home." Isabelle tells him and as she heads towards the house she notices a bright fiery light coming from the backyard.

Grabbing her gun Isabelle holds it tight in her hands as she slowly makes her way around the side of the house. By the time she reaches the backyard she can't see or hear anything. Kneeling down she touches the leaves on the ground. They were slimey like something had been poured all over them. But before she has the chance to do anymore surveilling Isabelle gets knocked to the ground and looks up to see Ariel Eberhart pinning her down, an amused smirk present on her lips.

"I remember you. You were at the club." Ariel says.

"Yeah. Um.. I'm Detective Kessler. I believe you met my co detective — Detective Burkhardt." Isabelle replies.

"How come you didn't come backstage to talk?" Ariel inquires.

"I had other business to take care of. It's confidential." Isabelle informs her.

"I'm sure it was." Ariel muses with a cheeky grin. "And, if it's what you desire, we can add this to that list."

Ariel briefly woges into her Daemonfeuer form before leading down for a kiss, tangling her hands in Isabelle's hair as their lips touch. Pushing her off Isabelle wipes her mouth as Ariel falls back in a fit of laughter.