Chapter 4

It's raining. There's a quiet pitter-patter of drops coming down upon the windowsill outside her room. Violet stares at herself reflected in the watery window.

She's become familiar with her long silver-white hair and light skin. Mother has it, her sisters have it. But she's not used to seeing streaks of black at the end of her hair. Or the strange tendril-like growth barely visible on her head.

She's tried to hide it beneath her bangs. Something about it makes her feel uncomfortable at the thought of others seeing her like this.

She doesn't question its existence. She's fairly certain she knows what's causing the changes in her appearance - it's felt all throughout her body, which protests often when she tries to do anything strenuous. The other children have stopped inviting her to play any games involving physical activity, and so she's fallen out of their group a bit, which hurts.

She lightly runs her fingers over the point where white turns to black. It feels mostly the same, perhaps a bit more oily, like she needs to wash it. That hasn't helped, the last few times she's tried.

Mother had some streaks of black in her hair. Violet supposes it only makes sense.

Would Mother be proud of her if she sees? This was why she was brought here, after all. To take on the blight for the sake of others. To save their lives and help the kingdom.

Despite the pains associated from the many purifications up until now, Violet finds she can't at all regret purifying others. The joy at seeing them rejoice at their lives being saved, the feeling of accomplishment, that she's living out her purpose – it makes it all worth it, to her. But one thing nags at her.

Why didn't Mother tell me?

It leaves a pit of doubt in her stomach. She resolves to ask upon Mother's return, which is soon. There's been a reprieve in her duties, allowing her to visit, and it brings waves of excitement through the child. While her dependency upon her mother has lessened with time, her attachment hasn't. She can't wait.

___________________

Violet hops in place anxiously, while Giles stands readily by her side as usual. They're both outside the front entrance to the castle. Violet can't even remember how many months it's been - has it been over a year now? Since Mother left. The time flew by with all Violet experienced and learned.

The sound of a horse galloping and a cart being pulled up the long path to the castle reaches her ears and she bounces happily, waving as she sees the cart approach. Mother is there with Silva, Bale ferrying as usual. The few seconds it takes for them to arrive and stop feels like forever to Violet and she's hurrying up to the cart before it's even fully stopped.

"Mother! Mother!" Violet has the largest smile she's had in a long time. Silva, as usual, has that look of disdain, but it seems more subdued than she remembers. It doesn't bother her. Her focus is all on her Mother, who to Violet's surprise is staring at her in shock.

"Violet, you..." She dismounts the cart in a hurry and kneels down next to the child, placing her hand on a black streak of hair. "Did you purify someone?" She sounds worried, but Violet doesn't notice that, rather feeling proud that Mother recognized what she's done.

"Yes! I've purified a few people. They were all really happy!"

Mother starts checking her over, and brushing back her bangs, finding the small growths on her head. Her breath hitches for a moment. "Violet... why?" She sounds genuinely dismayed.

Violet furrows her brow in confusion. She thought Mother would be proud of her. "Isn't that why I was brought up here?"

Mother hesitantly runs a finger over the growth. It bothers Violet to the touch and she instinctively flinches away.