(Can't) Keep the Distance | Chapter 14

Jennie walked through the empty, hospital hallway with Irene's words ringing inside her head. The doctor that I like.

She heaves out a sigh and tried getting Irene out of her thoughts but couldn't. Before she even knew it, she bumped into someone causing for her to snap out of her thoughts and look to apologize to whoever she bumped on. It was Jisoo.

"You're zoning out. You should look where you're walking on, Jennie" Jisoo utters. She then noticed the frown and teary eyes Jennie had which worried her.

"Jen, are you--"

"Leave me alone! I d-don't even know why I'm crying! It's just... nevermind. I'm not crying" Jennie wiped the tears in her eyes that threatened to fall while Jisoo was confused with Jennie's action.

"You--"

"I'm not crying! You are!" And then Jennie sobs loudly, letting her tears fall and held Jisoo's shoulder for support, burying her face against the raven hair's neck.

"Why do you even attract so many people? Keep your beautiful face and kindness to yourself" Jennie murmurs. Jisoo didn't know if she should laugh or just keep quiet with how Jennie act. She wrapped her arms around Jennie's shoulder, attempting to hug the brunette -- until a voice called them out.

"Jennie?"

The voice made Jennie jump away from the doctor and immediately wipes her tears away. "H-hey, Irene unnie"

"Oh gosh, what happened to you? Why are you crying?" Irene hurriedly went beside Jennie after seeing her red eyes and started babying the brunette.

"I'm okay, Unnie. It's just something that got into my eyes" Jennie reasoned out. Irene scoffs, not believing Jennie's reason and raised an eyebrow. "Seriously, it's nothing" Jennie added after seeing Irene's doubting face.

"I'll leave now. I'm actually tired today and I need a rest"

Jennie takes a step to leave but was immediately stopped by none other than Kim Jisoo making Irene eye their hand. They fit together as if it was made just for Jisoo to hold.

"I promised to treat you on lunch yesterday and we couldn't do it today because of some important matters, how about tomorrow?"

Irene looked to Jisoo and then to Jennie. She could see the happiness, yet at the same time sadness in the brunette's expression which she couldn't figure out why.

"Um... I don't know. I think I'll be busy for quite a while"

Irene then looked at Jisoo, her expression looked down after Jennie indirectly rejected her lunch offer and didn't even said sorry for refusing and walked away.

The sadness in both their eyes was the same, Irene could say. But she couldn't figure out what it was and why. Maybe she will figure out, next time.

///

Jennie kept her distance for almost three weeks. And it made Jisoo so mad at Jennie's childish action. There was one time where Jisoo would pass the hallway and Jennie was on the other side, also passing by. Jennie rushed to get away from bumping onto Jisoo which made her run late on their schedule appointment and got slightly scolded by Teddy.

Irene, on the other hand, was getting close to Jisoo and got to know her better. Jennie's 'keeping the distance' act made Irene get closer with Jisoo, making her look like a cupid for them. When Jennie rushed away from the hallway, Irene didn't hesitate to approach Jisoo and start a conversation with her when she saw the raven haired walking alone.

Jennie was giving away her chance to get closer to Jisoo. While Irene was catching every chance she get just to be close with the raven haired.

"Hey, Jisoo"