𝐁𝐞𝐭𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐧 𝐡𝐢𝐦

Start from the beginning

"(Y/n)." (Y/n)'s head perked up with alert as their wine glass was slipped out of their grasp. Their head turned over to where the item had been removed and laid their eyes over Alyssa, who was clothed in silk and satin and bathed in the lighting of the ball.

"I- Oh, Alyssa!" They stammered slightly, lifting themself up to their fullest height so that they weren't leaning against the table anymore. "Hi!"

"...Hi." She narrowed her eyes, glancing down at the beverage. "You were shaking like crazy, I thought you were gonna throw your drink for a moment." Alyssa cleared her throat, placing it down on the table, but further away from their reach.

"Was I?"

"You were." She nodded. "Is something bothering you?"

"No." They lied, sinking their teeth into their tongue as they displayed a shallow smile.

"(Y/n)." She deadpanned.

"It's nothing!" They chirped, reaching back out for their wine glass, but Alyssa wasn't buying it. The silver-haired girl let out a bothersome sigh and took the drink, once again, from their palm and placed it even further away this time.

"Are you drunk?"

"Not that I'm aware of."

"Then why are you acting like this?" She narrowed her glare at her best friend

"Acting like what?"

"Oh, I don't know... Weird?" Her nose stuck up. "What's the point in dressing up for an event if you were just going to stand in a corner by yourself?" (Y/n) felt offended at the sentence, but they knew that it was true so they couldn't argue with it.

"Oh, I'm sorry, I don't see you hanging around anyone." (Y/n) retorted.

"I was actually hanging out with George and Callahan, which you would know if you were actually focusing on the real world." She swung back effortlessly, causing (Y/n) to instantly recoil. "Did something happen?"

"Why are you so concerned?" They grumbled under their breath, scratching their nail across the tablecloth.

"Why is nobody else?" She snorted. "You're my best friend and you're loitering by the snack table... You've been doing so for the past hour. It'd be pretty shitty of me if I didn't realise."

"So you didn't check up on me up until now and was instead counting how long I've been alone?" (Y/n) grumbled under their breath, picking at the skin beside their nails.

"I thought you were waiting for someone. I didn't wanna ruin anything with my presence." She shrugged.

"Well, I wasn't."

Alyssa narrowed her eyes to (Y/n)'s hostility, scrunching her nose slightly. "How was I supposed to know that?"

"By actually coming over and checking up on me instead of waiting an hour to do so?" They spat.

"Woah," She took a short, single step back, "why are you mad at me now? Who else has come over to ask?"

"That's a really long-winded way of calling me lonely, Al'." They hissed, pinching their skin.

"I was being nice."

"It doesn't feel very nice."

Alyssa paused, her jaw ticking. "Listen, (Y/n). You're clearly projecting some sort of pent-up anger in you onto me and I'm not really in the mood for it. Why don't you just tell me what's going on so we can sort it out?"