Chapter 16

Present Day

The gravels crunched as the SUV came to a stop. The driver's side of the door opened and a tall man wearing a black cashmere coat over his expensive suit got out. He stood for a while taking in the fresh air of the surrounding green fields, then pushed his shades on his nose, shielding his eyes from the sun and closed the door of the car.

Dark short hair slicked back, the man turned to look at the old building atop great many steps, the structure dilapidated but still beautiful, age adding to its elegance. The surrounding gardens were filled with trees and beautiful white flowers between roses.

The man looked around it, observing everything.

"Sir! Welcome! Good morning!" the man turned on hearing the voice, observing the crowd of men and woman coming towards him. Three cars were parked behind the group, the men and women wearing official clothes even in such surrounding.

But then again, he thought ruefully, so was he.

"Sir," the leader of the group reached him, "It is such an honour to be able to meet you! It would be our pleasure to take care of your needs for this-"

"I specifically asked for the Lady Areum to be present." The man cut across the flattering speech, coldly looking at the group, "I am not known for being tolerant."

The leader of the group visibly paled when he heard his rich baritone, stammering a little, "The Lady Areum is w-waiting inside the Temple." He gulped, then continued after regaining his composure, "But Sir, the Lady is very uncooperative to what you desire. She has never cooperated before either, nor has her family."

The man gave the leader a disdainful look and then spoke while walking forward, "She is all I need. Everyone else is dismissed. Get Lost." he simply went towards the temple, climbing the steps gracefully.

The group of men glumly looked at the broad shoulders slowly becoming smaller as he went further away, "There goes my chance to make an impression on him." the leader said.

"At least he looked at you." A female hmphed, "He never gave me a glance."

The leader snorted, "What of it? I doubt my face registered in his memory to even last 2 seconds." Dispirited, the group reluctantly went back to their cars, not wanting to linger around after clearly being told to be away, not wanting to anger the man.

When the man reached the platform of the Temple, before he could enter, an old lady stood before him. Her back bent with old age, her face wreathed in wrinkles, the Lady smiled at him with sharp eyes, livelier than the man himself.

"Young Master." She greeted him, "You requested my presence?"

The man bowed before the old woman, showing his respect, then carefully spoke, "This is predominantly known as a Temple founded for the blessing of love? I am aware that the old folk lore proclaims that the wish to be reunited with a person you love will be blessed upon if a person with true love in his or her heart comes to sincerely pray here."

The old woman smiled, "That's how the saying goes. Does the Young Master yearn for someone?"

The man chose to ignore the statement and continued, "The God for this temple is unknown, are they not?"

The old woman merely gazed at him.

The man smiled a little, "If I speculate, should I put forth my theory that this temple is not dedicated to any God at all, but the resting place for the peace of two spirits?"

Hearing his words, the smile from the old woman's face vanished completely, her demeanour changing to become more alert. More vigilant.

The man took notice of the change and turned to face the old temple, the building different from a praying place, resembling more like an ancient, beautiful . . . . . . home.