Chapter 8

The days following the time flew by but it took a turn for better. Hoseok still behaved impeccably but his answers got more honest, he stopped pretending to be someone he wasn't.

The day following the one when Aaya had discovered the bodies, little Tang had complained about Hoseok going out for hours in the night, and then coming back with a lot of his stiches ripped open. Hoseok had instructed Tang to obediently sit inside.

When Aaya had asked about it after seeing the blood, the warrior had given her a wry smile and had answered, "If its within my power to ease your discomfort, then there will be no limit that I will cross for it."

Puzzled a little at first, she had had a hunch which she had excused herself to follow. She had been correct. Hoseok had buried all the bodies which had been the root of the teasing complain of the foul odour she had presented him with.

The injured man, had dug up the ground to make a mass grave, dragging those bodies and then covering it with soil. All alone.

She had returned to ask him, "And if what I want is beyond your power?"

With an enigmatic look in his eyes, he had replied, "That situation, will never arise in this life Aaya."

"Aaya? Lord General calls me by my name?" she had teased him.

Hoseok had not answered, but his expression had seemed to convey 'he was the only one who could'.

More days had passed with her spending her time with him, helping him gain his strength. She talked with him during the day, leaving him to face the nights with Tang. No guards came.

One day the General finally asked her, "When were you promised to another?"

She had been making an ointment, "Usually people ask to whom or why they are promised."

"You are not in love with him. Whoever he is. Why would I ask an unnecessary question?"

Startled, Aaya had stopped, but she dared not look at him. She was surprised that he voiced it so openly, not because he knew.

"Half a year ago. I helped him recover in the hospital we have. The Physicians encouraged our bond when they understood that he had become enamored. For me, he helped the village at the time of the famine. He is a good person, someone who claims to love me. For me, he has helped all those I care about. I did not refuse when he asked."

"If he is as good as you claim him to be, if he purely loves you, break it off with him." Hoseok calmly said.

"Sorry?" Aaya shifted her gaze on him.

"Once he knows your heart desires another, this paragon of goodness should let you have your happiness, no?"

Such was the way they had connected, they didn't even have to say what they felt for the other.

"Should you be this derisive of a person you have not met yet?" Aaya stood up to walk to wards the door. She reclined on the frame, gazing at the beautiful scenery outside.

"I am waiting for your answer."

Aaya shook her head, "There is a lot you still do not know about me."

"And he does?" Hoseok's voice took on a rare aggressiveness, "Has he seen you?"

The air pulsed with a charge. "He has."

Aaya could feel the oppressive jealousy and rising anger from him. After some time, he asked again, "Who is he?" his voice was controlled but he could still not disguise the burning anger in it.

Aaya shook her head, her smile turning bitter, "Does it matter? What is relevant is that I promised him." Partially turning her head, she gazed at the warrior, "Do you understand the importance of a promise General? It is an integrity of your soul that binds you to the action you have pledged to another. My word is my honour General. Without my honor, what kind of human will I be?"